Security Center on Windows XP SP2 Freezes PC

brian2000boston

Hello Everyone. I just installed a brand new copy of XP Home SP2 on a dektop computer. This drive is brand new and there are no applications on this drive, only has Windows installed. When the system boots up the red security system icon appears next to the time and states no anti virus installed. Which of course is true since we have not installed any applications. When you click on it there or the security center icon in the control panel, security center starts to load and then the computer freezes. The only way to get out of the freeze is through a hard reboot. Please let me know if anyone knows how this can be fixed. Thank you for your help.

Brian

Assuming those don't work, have you tried to re-install the OS? Since you haven't done anything yet (i.e. installed anything), this shouldn't be to painstaking. If you have and it still behaves the same, perhaps some files on your CD are corrupt.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for responding..i am sorry my delayed response. I was out on business and unable to get back to this issue. What is sfc /scannow? i am not sure what this does? The system was reloaded clean three times and still has this issue. This is a PIII 1ghtz pc. Thank you all and look forward to getting this box fixed. Anyone heard of maybe drivers causeing a conflict on the security center? Just a thoughts. Thanks again.

Looknat the bright side n2000boston you are not the only one who have that problem my XP Home XP SP1 do it all the time it a price we pay when we choose run Microsoft OS Like windowsXP!!!

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the name of the forum here? There are people here who run Windows XP as their primary OS constantly, and I for one don't have any problems with it.

If you don't like Windows, there are always alternatives for you to try. Ubuntu, Suse, Gentoo, FC4, Slackware, FreeBSD, etc etc etc. They're all free, so you'll always get what you paid for. :)

Unstable? XP in itself is not unstable. The drivers and programs that are written for it are unstable.

As for RAM, does it really matter all that much? For the record, I was using Ubuntu earlier today, and after opening the system monitor (the Linux equivalent of Task Manager), it said that Ubuntu had left 80MB of 512MB free..... imagine that.

But how many hours are you online Daily? i am some time around the clock 7/24 but most days from 11 am to 23 pm or 2 am 15 hours every day i am a power user and i use a lot of programs and have 10-15 windows open the same time write emails and use webmail,write in wordpad and listen to Internet radio the same time and some time i also download linux distro because i want to run multi OS on the same pc. This is my PC :

MS WindowsXP Home Edtion Non US Engelish or any other English language

5.1.2600 Service Pack Build 2600

Dell Dimension 4600

X86-based PC = x86 Familiy 15 Model 2 SteppingIntel~2660Mhz

512MB DDR333 Dual Channel Memory (2x256)

200GB Western Digital

virtual memory1.72GB

Place to sidefile 1.22GB

4xDVD+ 16xR/RW+ Compo Drive DVD and CD burner

European 745 Speekers = 4 speakers and subwoofer

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Canadian version 0240 , the below you can see is all things my sound card can!!!

MediaSource Player

MediaSource Go!

MediaSource Organizer

Creative AudioHQ

Creative Diagnostics

Creative MiniDisc Center

Creative Speaker Calibrator

Creative Surround Mixer

Creative WaveStudio

EAX Console

MediaSource DVD-Audio Player

SoundFont Bank Manager

Audio Stream Recorder 2

Edited by the-matrix

I wouldn't necessarily say it uses RAM for nothing :). Yes, XP uses more memory in general than previous versions of Windows - so what? Especially with SP2, it's also doing A LOT under the hood to make sure that the OS and the apps running on it stay stable, and to a lesser extent, secure.

A default XP install (without third-party apps) should run very comfortably on 128MB of RAM. As soon as you add antivirus, firewalls, etc, the footprint goes up. Are these necessary? Yes. But using RAM for nothing? No.

Have you run performance monitor on your machine to see what is using that memory? If you run lots of apps or third-party services, you will use lots of memory on your system.

If you set up performance monitor on your box, make sure that you are using the following counters:

Memory:

- %Committed bytes in use; page file actually used (%)

- Available Bytes; Available memory

- Committed Bytes; Total bytes written into virtual memory space on physical disk

- Pool Nonpaged Bytes; Kernel nonpaged memory pool usage

- Pool Paged Bytes; Kernel paged memory pool usage

Process:

- Handle count; for each process, shows the number of handle resources created

- Working set; for each process, shows the amount of physical memory in use

- Private bytes; for each process, shows the amount of memory the process has allocated to it

Run a perfmon against your system for a day or two, and take a look at your averages (especially for counters under process). Note if any have high handle counts (anything over 3 or 4,000 is suspicious), and note the working set and private bytes of each process. You should be able to tell what exactly is using all of the memory on your box.