NT 4.0 Internet issues

Soulreaver

OK, im a bit of an NT newbie, but I have a small problem. A customer has a server with NT4.0 and 8 other pc's with os ranging from 98 to xp hooked up to the server via a hub. Now they just had high speed internet connected to the server. The server uses a static ip and is connected straight to the router/modem combo. Now in order to connect to the network hub too a 2nd nic had to be installed. After the install of the 2nd nic the internet does not work. The ip, subnet mask, and gateway are all correct. It is trying to use the proper nic as well. The 2nd nic installed for the hub is working fine all pc's have access to the server's files. So any thought on why all of a sudden the internet is flaking out on me? I have tried all that i know how to do. Also once internet is restored any ideas on the easiest way to allow the other 8 pc's internet access through the server? Thanks a TON for any thought or input here.

on the second nic on the server( the LAN nic) remove the default gateway)

if you say this is already done.. go to the command prompt and type route print

this will display your routing table

you are going to want to see close to the very top

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 default gateway internet nic ip

if you remove the gateway from the lan nic you will still be able to communicate on the lan because you are on the same subnet. the gateway is used when the computer is trying to access something that is not on the local subnet

example:

Server Lan Nic = 192.168.1.10 .255.255.255.0

Lan Subnet = 192.168.01.0 255.255.255.0

Client Lan Nic = 192.168.1.20 25.255.255.0

Internet Address = google.com = 216.239.37.9

if your computer tried to access client lan it is going to look at the Ip address and say.. hey.. this address is local to my subnet.. lets send it onto the network and let it receive it.

If your computer tried to access google.com it sees that it is not on the same subnet it knows what the ip address is but it has no idea how to get to it so it send it to is default gateway and lets the router find the address..

Communication on the lan needs no default gateway.. if you are trying to acccess information on a subnet other than the one that you are on you WILL need a default gateway.

now.. you probably have it configured 1 of 2 ways.. either you have the lan nic pointed to the Wan gateway or the lan nic pointing to the lan gateway.. both ways will not work since you are not routing on the server and the server cannot determine which interface to send it out. SO.. what your computer is doing is it is sending out its request to google.com to your lan and therefore getting nowhere.

Hope that makes sense

So yeah.. remove the Default gateway on the lan nic

Set up routing and remote access on the server and configure it to do lan routing.

Point the lan workstations to the lan ip address of the server

or

Get a firewall and hook it up to the internet then point your server and workstations to the lan ip of the firewall

The second one is my recommendation.. i never like having servers be the first entry point into my systems.. make the firewall the first entrypoint