Windows 2000 Embedded

jimmsta

I'm just wondering, after noticing the "Windows 2000 Embedded" logo in a pre-SP, beta of 2k's Explorer.exe file, if Win2k Embedded was ever released as anything other than the Xbox's OS? I'm just curious, as I've never actually seen an embedded device that uses the win2k kernel, aside from the Xbox...

That's what i thought... just wondering if anyone knows, for a fact, that the win2k embedded kernel was transferred into the xbox... I'm probably more skilled in xbox modding/fixing, than windows 2000's internal working knowledge...

You're not gonna get very fair with the OS...it's VERY limited. I don't even think I've seen a project that uses it in any direct way. For sure you can't boot it up like a normal OS. Most modding I've seen looks to just totally forget it, and runs its own thing. I guess in the end it becomes nothing more than a very simple (Or advanced) BIOS.

As far as I know, after snooping around in the decompressed kernel segments of the xbox, I can gladly say that the xbox implementation of the NT kernel are separate from the BIOS-style code. Essentially, the kernel is a directX-native kernel... that is to say, that the kernel is sorta a hybrid NT/DX kernel, which includes direct access to all devices in the system, as well as direct GPU access - hence, this is the reason why the xbox hardware can be pushed further than most PC hardware. The GPU's power is completely at the programmer's fingers, in that it will take in as many ASM-based GPU instructions as it can handle in its hybrid GF3/4 architechture.

What I'm getting at, is that the NT Kernel is still there... but it's so heavily modified with DirectX kernel calls, that it isn't windows 2000's kernel anymore.

I wonder if the Xbox360's kernel is based on embedded XP, or embedded Vista (most likely a subversion of Vista's kernel). Then again,Vista's kernel may be a fork of the Xbox's original kernel. It would make sense to integrate DirectX into the kernel, to simplify kernel calls, and reduce the latencies associated with DX processing and translation....

Here's the kicker for the 360...it's not an x86 CPU anymore (PowerPC), so it's not very likely to be any normal code anymore. If anything, it's probably going to be a very tweaked version of WinCE. Some were thinking since PowerPC's run the Mac's that it might be some form of BSD since that's what OSX is. Wouldn't that be funny...an M$ product running BSD.

I realize the fact that it is a PowerPC... It could still be NT-based.

Then again, seeing as all the xbox360's OS has to do, really, is negotiate media traffic, manage some sort of database software, and online connections...

Seems a bit more intuitive than WinCE could ever be.

Well, it's not likely for anything past NT4...they stopped supporting other platforms since then. Now they could be developing it all in house, but I would doubt they would waste the time to convert the code. WinCE on the other hand is still developed to run on multiple platforms, even though they are all mobile hardware. But just like with the DreamCast you can design it to run on several classes.

Someone give me the best OS ever, please?

2k slimmed down to the core with updated files (everything from xp, win3k etc) , would be the best OS.. correct?

Custom 2k like the Xbox would be so sweet.. ;)

Edited by kalo