How to: Bypass Post-Install Questions on Multiple Retail PCs?

As part of my job I setup many Retail PCs for the first time, ie I take compaqs/hps/sonys out of the packaging and get them to the desktop. I would like to be able to bypass the standard questions given on first boot, ie 'Can you hear sound?, Do you want to register with MS?, Accept EULA, Setup Internet?'

I am new to unattended installs but am highly competent with computers and windows. I have done some research and I know in 'entirely unattended' installs an answer file (answer.sif?) will bypass these things, but I am unsure how to proceed when the OS is already installed. Thanks everyone on these forums for their efforts towards the goal of saving time.

-Rob

I don't think you can...since that happens on the first boot-up, how would you apply any custom setting without going through the mini-setup? You could try going into safe mode first, but I still don't think that will do you any good.

Most of the topics here are related to unattended installations, which by design is limited to a fresh install.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong...good luck!

Since you already have Windows preinstalled on these machines, you won't be able to bypass this automatically, as you have no control over the Windows installation by the vendor. It would be wise, if you can, to create your own retail XP CD with your own WINNT.SIF answer file and wipe these machines out once they come to you (hey, if you've got an AD, you could probably use RIS for even easier setup via PXE boot).

There certainly is a way to skip the OOBE portion of a retail XP setup if you do a new install - you need to add the value "UnattendSwitch = YES" in your [unattend] section to skip the OOBE though. Here's a full WINNT.SIF file that works on retail, MSDN, and VLK XP Pro CD's:

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates = YES

AutoPartition = 1

MsDosInitiated = 0

UnattendedInstall = Yes

[unattended]

Unattendmode = FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch = YES

OemPreinstall = YES

OemPnPDriversPath = drivers\audio;drivers\chipset;drivers\misc\wireless;drivers\modem;drivers\network;drivers\RAID;drivers\touchpad;drivers\video

OemSkipEULA = YES

TargetPath = WINDOWS

Filesystem = ConvertNTFS

DUDisable = YES

Hibernation = NO

WaitForReboot = NO

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Repartition = Yes

[GuiUnattended]

TimeZone = 035

AdminPassword = *

EncryptedAdminPassword = NO

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OEMSkipRegional = 1

AutoLogon = YES

AutoLogonCount = 2

[setupParams]

UserExecute=%systemdrive%\temp\unattend.cmd

[userData]

FullName = USER

OrgName = ORG

ComputerName = *

ProductKey = XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 32

Xresolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[NetOptionalComponents]

Beacon = 0

[Components]

Accessopt = Off

CertSrv = Off

CertSrv_Client = Off

CertSrv_Server = Off

Chat = Off

Deskpaper = Off

Dialer = Off

Fax = Off

Fp_extensions = Off

FP_Vdir_Deploy = Off

Freecell = Off

Hearts = Off

IIS_Common = Off

IIS_Doc = Off

IIS_FTP = Off

IIS_HTMLa = Off

IIS_Inetmgr = Off

IIS_NNTP = Off

IIS_NNTP_Docs = Off

IIS_Pwmgr = Off

IIS_SMTP = Off

IIS_SMTP_Docs = Off

IIS_WWW = Off

IIS_WWW_Vdir_Printers = Off

IIS_WWW_Vdir_TerminalServices = Off

IISDbg = Off

Indexsrv_system = Off

LicenseServer = Off

Media_utopia = Off

Minesweeper = Off

Mousepoint = Off

Msmsgs = Off

MSMQ_ADIntegrated = Off

MSMQ_Core = Off

MSMQ_HTTPSupport = Off

MSMQ_LocalStorage = Off

MSMQ_MQDSService = Off

MSMQ_RoutingSupport = Off

MSMQ_TriggersService = Off

Msnexplr = Off

Netoc = Off

Pinball = Off

Solitaire = Off

Spider = Off

WMAccess = Off

zonegames = Off

[PCHealth]

ER_Display_UI = 0

ER_Enable_Applications = None

ER_Enable_Kernel_Error = 0

ER_Enable_Reporting = 0

ER_Enable_Windows_Components = 0

ER_Force_Queue_Mode = 0

ER_Include_MSApps = 0

ER_Include_Shutdown_Errs = 0

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff = YES

DefaultThemesOff = YES

[systemFileProtection]

SFCQuota=0

[systemRestore]

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 5

RestorePointLife = 7

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

Home_Page = http://www.google.com

Search_Page = http://www.google.com/ie_rsearch.html://http://www.google.com

Search...ie_rsearch.html

AutoConfig=1

If you put WINNT.SIF in the i386 directory of your XP install source, setup will use that file. Otherwise, place WINNT.SIF on a floppy when the XP setup starts, and it will read that file. XP setup will check for the existence of a WINNT.SIF file on a floppy disk, and if it doesn't find one it uses the one in the i386 directory. Just an FYI.

Edited by cluberti

Thank you for your comments. I was hoping there was some way to bypass, but it looks like I'll just have to suffer through it. The suggestion to just reinstall my own unattended version would definitely solve the problem, but I think the reinstalling process would take longer time, even though I don't have to attend it directly. Thanks again.

It would take more time, yes, but then you don't have all of the useless CRAP that gets loaded on by OEM's on those PC's. Also, you'd have much better control over what was installed on those machines, making them easier to troubleshoot in the future if problems occur (no more guessing what is installed, what service pack on which application when, etc.). Plus, it's completely unattended - it's not like you have to sit and watch :).

yes you must reinstall complete os with a new unattended setup ...

I agree with cluberti for the better control of applications installed but the bad thing is about drivers, certain oem has specific drivers for their devices (such as 56k modem amr/sound onboard hybrid ...)

++

But most OEM's leave the driver files on the disk somewhere (I know Sony and Dell usually leave the c:\drivers folder on the disk), so you'd at least have the drivers to add to your $OEM$ share that the vendor used without searching for them on the vendor's site...