Best OS for gaming (excluding XP)?

azagahl

I don't like XP because I don't agree with the instrusive activation system.

And 98 SE is starting to feel too old, even though I use a lot of upgrades from ME and XP.

And there aren't a lot of games for Linux.

Ignoring XP, which OS is best for gaming? 2K Advanced Server? 2K professional edition?

Something else?

Also, which upgrades are crucial? I'm thinking of using 2K SP 4 and AutoPatcher 2000 which gives update roll up v2, DX9.0c, and IE6SP1, among other things.

Thanks!

Oh, the activation scheme is minimal and easy to circumvent, man :) Just get yourself a corporate copy and use that (make sure you do buy a legitimate license for XP Pro, though).

Right now XP is the best gaming OS, period.

Jason

Hahaha, I love that. Jason just completely ignored the post about not talking about bypassing activation and stuff. lol

I find it sort of ironic that a lot people think Win2k is the best gaming OS, when MS originally designed it ONLY for business purposes. For me Win2k used to be the best OS for gaming, but I've run into a lot of problems with it ever since I changed a bunch of my hardware. I would go with 98SE, if it was still 2002, but game developers and MS have conveniantly tried to push 98SE out of the picture. For once, I'm going with XP on this one, because for me, gaming is the only thing that XP has ever been the least bit good at. I have no comment on win2k3 because I've never used it, though I have heard it is a lot better than XP.

a stripped down version of win2k powered the xbox. it was not an out of the box product, but the os did come from win2k. that's why people tend to answer this question with "Windows 2000." whether that is true any more (that it is best) is not a call i am qualified to make as i'm a MAME guy :P

suryad:

dude, some ppl re-install their OS on the same PC, every morning! So "too many times" is a relative term, and bashing them is not in list of best things to do.

BigDaddy & JasonGW:

Like simonsays has already said twice, activation/cracking discussion is NOT allowed on here. Period.

Others:

Take a look at the topic title before posting. The first-poster wanted a decent OS that can run games, and that DOESNT use activation. Seeing a majority of posts that dont even take notice of that, is exasperating!

Either dont post irrelevant matter, -OR- Get back on topic.