Opinions on Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta1

Sli-Boi

Hey guys, just thought i'd get your opinion.

Before i start, i am in the process of trialling the antispyware microsoft offers, now i frequently backup and reinstall xp every 3 months to 'clean' the OS.

Before i did, i downloaded A-S beta1 and see how it went and as i backed up all my files, i decided to install all the known common spyware and wage war on my system! To my surprise a few little goodies were detected like eg. Whenu, and so forth..

I also run Spybot ver. 4 and decided to run a scan there, and picked up 'hotbar' which A-S didnt detect. Im not expecting a miracle and stop all known software, but i am after a reliable, stable and resource friendly

A-S that has a 'real time' scan feature.

I have thought of some 'good' anti-spyware and thought you guys could share some unbiased opinions/experiences with them before i decide to purchase.

1. Microsoft Anti-spyware

2. Spyware Eliminator

3. Spy Sweeper

4. Counter Spy

5. Spyware Doctor

well first off its beta. its made by the company that knowingly installed spyware on all copies of windows xp (one that had a purpose but still).

its a monopolies spyware program , free or not, i'd rather switch to linux, but its too hard.

whats the point, when it takes up memory all the time, to keep you immune (seperate process), where spybot s&d, makes you immune, without being in your memory at all.

then theres firefox, its great, and its the best bet to keep away from spyware, to the point, that I think next time my neighbor calls me over cause of spyware, optimised firefox 1.5 im gonna put on his computer.

basically he just got a new computer, that can handle firefox, (his last one, was sooo slow, IE barely loaded in 30 seconds.

M$ antispyware, is like a celeron computer to me :P was never meant to work well in the first place

Edited by gdogg

Appreciate that! thanks, now i run Firefox 1.07, am i using a different version to you gdogg? i am fairly new to firefox as well, version 1.5?

My setup rig is on my signature, so it can basically tackle anything, sounds to me version 1.5 is a different version to mine..

You seem very negative about M$ A/S, so i guess i can just use Spybot S&D safely along with Trend Micro.:)

I use nlite for all my OS installs and do find M$ install spyware..what the f**k is Alexa? LMAO

:lol:

yeh lol, alexa is spyware, but one that has a use supposedly, ?

but anway, i'd try to find an optimised build of firefox, they are alot faster.

i am using this one, it load just as fast as IE after first load,

2 seconds to load the first time

you should be just as fast, your system is 1337

http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/mmoy/...0.7-K8B-X36.exe

hey gdogg, i installed and extracted the browser, and put the directory in my program files, now it seems the browser doesnt uninstall the original firefox 1.07 so i uninstalled it anyway, and YOUR version still runs, bu for some reason doesnt want to install macromedia flash plug-in

Should i reinstall firefix 1.07? would that solve the problems?

sweet! thanks for that, il try after i finish work...

i really havent noticed a big difference in startup times, but the browser speed (i use 1500/512KB/S) is a blink and i can get get a max speed of 1700kb/s! and before id hover around 1500kb/s

But anyways thanks for the links..by the way, where do i find some info/posts about your 57mb install? ini. files?

I cant finish it, its @ 105 MB right now, it should be 57MB :(

I am going to try to use vmware, and get the files out somehow, so it might be possible

but in the end, I can never re-install windows now, or test my project on a real install in c:\

as mine is on e:\

Edited by gdogg

the whole point of it, was less memory usage

and to remove the need for an AV

no spyare either.

and i suceeded (mostly) there was one virus someone pointed out, that is horrible, but i dont think i'd even get that one anyway, nor would i dare test it :P

Edited by gdogg