USB FDD not working with XP

Catherine

Hi everybody,

I bought a USB Floppy Disk Drive [Mitsumi USB FDD 061M] - "P/N: 9756898832582" "S/N: U 256988" -. However, after purchasing the said drive, I found out that it does not contain a driver that is compatible for Windows XP. The driver that was installed by Windows XP by default is not compatible so that the said USB Floppy Disk Drive is not working.

I connected it with another computer having Windows 98, and the said USB Floppy Disk Drive worked excellently, but on my computer that has Windows XP, it does not work. Although after installation the Floppy Drive Icon is displayed, the drive does not work. I tried to search for a compatible updated version of the driver for XP, but to no avail.

Would you please help me out in this regard, and guide me as to how I can make the said USB Floppy Disk Drive run with Windows XP.

With best regards.

Catherine

First off - don't double post. Double posts only cause different answers and thread to pop up and they're messy...We'll find your question wherever it may lie. :)

As for your question, have you tried uninstalling the floppy drive from Device Manager and then letting Windows reinstall the drivers for it?

Right-click My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device manager

Right-click on the floppy drive and select uninstall. Confirm. Reboot.

If the drive says that there are no XP-compatible drivers, then usually you're out of luck. You might want to dig around in the Device Drivers section for a little more info. Just remember to search before posting. ;)

Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

I tried hunting for a driver for her on the Manufacturer's site, but they don't have the driver for that particular drive. Can you force the driver install on XP when it tells you it's not compatible by clicking "Continue Anyway", or have you already tried that ?

First off - don't double post. Double posts only cause different answers and thread to pop up and they're messy...We'll find your question wherever it may lie. :)

As for your question, have you tried uninstalling the floppy drive from Device Manager and then letting Windows reinstall the drivers for it?

If the drive says that there are no XP-compatible drivers, then usually you're out of luck. You might want to dig around in the Device Drivers section for a little more info. Just remember to search before posting. ;)

Opps, sorry about double posting. Will keep that in mind in future.

I have tried uninstalling the driver and letting Windows XP reinstall the driver. I have even tried to force the driver install on XP as suggested by "Ringfinger", but as I mentioned earlier, the system reads the USB Floppy Drive, that is to say, the Floppy Drive Icon is displayed, but the drive does not blink or work, whereas on my friend's system that has Windows 98 on it, it runs smoothly.

With best regards.

Catherine

• 11 months later...

Opps, sorry about double posting. Will keep that in mind in future.

I have tried uninstalling the driver and letting Windows XP reinstall the driver. I have even tried to force the driver install on XP as suggested by "Ringfinger", but as I mentioned earlier, the system reads the USB Floppy Drive, that is to say, the Floppy Drive Icon is displayed, but the drive does not blink or work, whereas on my friend's system that has Windows 98 on it, it runs smoothly.

With best regards.

Catherine

Catherine,

Greetings! If you said what kind of computer you're using it would surely help.

Those external drives will install as drive A: if there is NO other drive A: set up in your Bios on your motherboard. Also, you need to have all USB functions on the motherboard turned on in your Bios.

There are NO XP drivers for those little external FD's. They are just handled by XP as a USB device.

I've installed several of those little guys on systems that came new with NO floppy drive installed.

I just plug them in and they WORK. That's all there is to it. :wub:

I have one here and I just looked at the installation instructions.....there is NO instruction for XP,

only 98, 2K and ME.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)