Get windows xp updates without internet connection

apoutney

I have a laptop computer with XP and SP2 is there a way that i can get any updates for windows without plugging it into the internet and and running automatic updates.

The laptop has no method of connecting to the internet.

I have access to the internet through another computer and wanted to download the files to install the updates then copy them across but i dont know where to get them from without going through automatic updates.

Any ideas anyone?

If the laptop doesn't have an internet connection, why would you want to install updates? I can't really think of any updates for Windows XP that add new features that you would need. Most of them are for online security.

Heh that is a good question. I guess there could be situations where the requirement to connect to the net might be a possibility so he just wants to be sure. Anyway it is good to know that you can get the updates some other way like that.

In order to get updates as seperate .EXEs do the following:

Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

OR (what I use to do before MS started keeping their security page up to date)

1. Go to a PC that is on the net & doesn't have the updates installed.

2. On each update there will be a "details" link which opens a small window

3. Click on the KB or Tech article and it will lead you to a separate download page of the update

I've been doing this for over 2 years as I always keep all the post SP updates in a folder for company use.

If you are going to do this I recommend you rename the updates otherwise the folder will be a mess. I've found the best way is to rename the file to:

Year-Month-Day-KB#-Description.exe

This means a patch could be called:

2005-10-10-KB896688-IE_Cumulative_Update.exe

This way the files will sort by release date (you really want to install them in order, oldest 1st)

Plus you still have the KB number to go look up details if you ever need to, and a description so you can quickly tell what the patch does. Another good reason to use a desc is that you only need the newest 'IE Cumulative Update', so when you download this patch, you know to go delete any past cumulative updates as they are now outdated.

Edited by Rhelic