Quake in pakistan razes entire extreme north [utter devastation]

rupert86

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051012/ap_on_...GZhBHNlYwM3MjE-

http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?as=a...ae=windows-1252

An earthquake here at 8:52 A.M. PST (+0500GMT), saturday morning has caused great devastation. Complete cities have ben razed as if bulldozed. The death-toll as of yesterday is anything between or above 28,000 and 60,000. In the extreme north even mountains have been torn into 2. Great cracks have appeared across roads. In Balakot the earth split forming a canyon and an entire school building settled into it, complete alongwith 550 schoolchildren. Landslides and mudslides had blocked all cummunication too, but major roads are open again. Continuous hailstorm is also halting truck convoys and helicopters.

Entire villages have been reported to have got thrown into the river Neelum. In some areas not a single soul has been left alive. The nation has lost an entire generation crushed under the rubble of their school-buildings. Don't know who will populate/power the country next :( .

The earthquake was broad-ranged and also hit Afghanistan and India, but Pakistan is having the greatest no. of problems, the greatest no. of casualties, and the whole nation is still in shock. We need donations, monetary funding, tents, blankets, medical accessories such as gauzestrips, disposable syringes, anti-septic vaccines, first-aid medical kits, even candlesticks and matchboxes.

I have been busy the last 2-3 days, co-ordinating some volunteer work, but today I visited my regular internet spots and I was amazed at fnding no concern @ MSFN. Neowin has had a long thread. I'm in a hurry now.

I'll sure come back with some links for donations etc. (The greatest concern here is the medical one as it is the 4th day, and live-recovery chances have to a great extent diminished, the only things they are finding are corpses, but now is the need arised to save the survivors from measles, cholera, dairrohea, gastroentritis and pneumonia, since the season is autumn). Hence Sardar Sikandar Hayat Khan, PM of the PATA area AJK said, "I am the prime minister of a graveyard."

And friends, we need lots of prayers too.

Edited by rupert86

Please don't misunderstand. I can only speak for myself, but will assume the same for others. Not making a post about Pakistan, India and Afghanistan's earthquake does not mean there is no concern. The concern is equal to what it is and was for the tsunami victims and hurricane victims in Central America. Please do post your links.

Each time I see reports on the devestation, I am more amazed and shocked. From what I have seen in the media, it looks like they are still trying to grasp what has happened.

The world has seen two earthquakes in a short period of time and the mind boggling destruction and carnage. It's hard to grasp.

Assistance is being sent. I hope it helps in the recovery the best it can. Like I said, please post your links.

DL

True it is.

Internet posts & real-world efforts are quite different. We are concerned, & are helping in the best way possible - sending goods to shelter & feed the survivors. There were scores of volunteers wanting to help in the relief work, but were told by the Pakistan government that there's sufficient ppl for that already. :)