Acrobat 7 Font Problem

spacesurfer

Hi, everyone.

This problem has simply stumped me. I cannot find the solution anywhere on the web, although many have posted on the problem. So, far no forum has provided a solution. So, here is the problem.

I have Acrobat 7 installed on Win XP SP2 system. For some reason, somehow, I don't know what triggers Acrobat 7 to start displaying the error "Cannot Find or Create the font XXXXXX" and then when the document opens, that font is not displayed. All the other fonts are displayed except that font.

The font that does not display is a system font like Arial and Times New Roman. It is not an embedding problem because on another system with Acrobat 7, the file displays correctly.

Uninstalling completely and reinstalling does not solve the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only solution is for me to roll back my system (using Norton Ghost backup that I have). But again, something triggers it to stop displaying those fonts again.

It also happens with the Reader 7.

Anyone has a solution????????????????????????????

• 1 month later...

Have you done the usual troubleshooting procedures? (i.e. run sfc /scannow)

The problem doesn't happen with any other apps that use those fonts either?

I'm assuming that you're using the latest Acrobat - 7.05.

No, I haven't tried that. I'll try it. Does the sfc /scannow work with Win 2000. Same problem occurs there, too.

Have you done the usual troubleshooting procedures? (i.e. run sfc /scannow)

The problem doesn't happen with any other apps that use those fonts either?

I'm assuming that you're using the latest Acrobat - 7.05.

Arial, Tahoma are all system fonts.... when I open with Acrobat Reader 6 or Acrobat 6, the file displays correctly but it happens wth Acrobat Reader 7 and Acrobat 7 both. The issue is not missing fonts.

Thanks for reply though.

please check your map %systemroot%\Fonts and look if there exist Arial, Tahoma and which ones Adobe Reader give a error about. i have for example 73 fonts installed.

sfc /scannow works with Windows 2000 as well.

Were you ever able to view the file in AR7 on that particular computer? I'm wondering if there's a conflict with the font installation, perhaps from other software being installed (i.e. Any office-like program that would install fonts as well).

• 2 weeks later...
sfc /scannow works with Windows 2000 as well.

Were you ever able to view the file in AR7 on that particular computer? I'm wondering if there's a conflict with the font installation, perhaps from other software being installed (i.e. Any office-like program that would install fonts as well).

The problems seems independent of the OS and independent of whether you use Acrobat Reader 7 or Acrobat 7. I can uninstall both and install Acrobat Reader 6 and view the file correctly.

Your comment about any conflict with font installation leads me to believe there SEEMS to be a conflict with some PostScript Type 1 fonts. The problems starts after having installed a certain group of my PS fonts and using them in Office. There might be a delay (not right after installation but maybe couple of days after). Still can't figure out what the trigger is.

The conflict with PostScript fonts makes some sense, since PDF's are simply a PS file with a bit of a wrapper around them.

Is there maybe one font in particular that you use that triggers it? Maybe you could devise a systematic method of testing this...

• 2 months later...
Did this ever get fixed? I have the same problem and this is the only site that has come close to giving me any help.

I haven't found a fix yet.

The only thing that seems to work is to integrate (slipstream) 7.0.5 update to the installation of 7.0 and install the slipstreamed version. I haven't had a problem after I did this.

If this problem occurred, you cannot simply uninstall and reinstall. That does not and has not solved the problem. I had to revert to a state when Acrobat was not installed.

• 1 year later...

Eureka I think I found it !! ! :thumbup

There are many allusions to font problems on other posts on the web... That lead me to try something that works immediatly, without reinstalling.

It seems that there is a problem (BUG :realmad: ) with the font handling in Acrobat 7... standard / pro / or reader. But Acrobat 8 reader can read the file (on the same computer).

The only thing I did to fix the problem was to remove the 2 fonts I had manually added (for bar code handling in my case)... After I deleted the fonts, I Reopen the file with Reader 7 and the file displayed correctly.

So if you installed a package that install fonts, or simply installed new fonts manually, try to identify the font, remove them, and Bingo !

Hope this helps many of u that had that bothering problem !

J.

Edited by jmalenfant

Cool. Someone found a solution about 1&1/2 years later. Better late than never though. Thanks.

I quit using the origina 7.0 version, however, and used the slipstreamed 7.0.8 version. This never had any problems.

One question, though, for people who may still be using 7.0: What if you need the fonts that you installed? Do you have to install your fonts first, then install Acrobat?