RIS Image Hangs

Taggs

I'm trying to install and image on a laptop @ work. The server lets me log on, select image etc etc etc. It copies initial files but when it gets to the stage when it says "Setup is Starting Windows" thats as far as it gets! :angry:

I have the correct drivers installed on the image.

Any Idea's?

Could you tell me if you are doing a vanilla RIS or if you are spicing it up at all with RVM, nLite, etc? And could you tell me what hardware the laptop has (motherboard chipset and NIC in particular).

OFF TOPIC: Taggs, you have the absolute best ever avatar I have ever seen in my life! Not only that, it bears a striking resemblance to yours truly. This has been a baaaaad week for me.

My Image is just a bog standard XP Pro SP2 (and a couple of updates), it works fine on PC's but not on Laptops.

NIC = Broadcom 4401

Chip Set = Intel 855PM/ ICH4-M

Video = ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64MB memory

Well if it works fine on desktops but not laptops.. dang, that's a good one. The only thing I can really suggest, based on the description of where it hangs, is to get in the BIOS and disable "Legacy USB Support" if that's an option and check over the options that should be disabled like some of the various memory caching options.

Are the desktops also using Intel chipsets? ATA or SATA?

I'll have a look at the BIOS settings and have a "play" with them. :)

Desktops are using Intel chip set and ATA.

I've also just tried an autobuild from a DVD and it still does the same thing :( . (Just to make sure it's nothing to do with the Network side of things)

Hi,

I had a quick thought. You're using a Broadcom NIC and the RIS image (well mine anyway) has 2 broadcom sys files within it by default. If you've copied the latest Broadcom drivers to the i386 folder and restarted the binlsvc service then you could possibly be having a problem with the new broadcom inf file associating with the old (and therefore wrong) sys file. I had a similar experience with Intel NICs this week causing a hang at "Setup is starting Windows" and the fix was to remove the default Intel sys files.

The files you'd need to remove are:

bcm4e5.sys

bcm42xx5.sys

Note: I don't know if they've now changed, but you used to need to edit Broadcom inf files to get them working under text mode RIS setup. The instructions for editing them can be found here on Broadcom's site under "No. 79":

http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/faq_drivers.php

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Hi Andy,

thanks for that. I'd already tried editing the files and that didn't work :no: and I've copied both of the latest sys and inf files from the broadcom web site but still it hangs. :( I've even tried with older versions on the files but still nothing)

I'm begining to think it may not be a drivers problem.

I think I'll start to building a fresh image peice by peice and see where it falls over.

Thanks anyway but keep that thinking cap on! :)

• 1 month later...

Try disabling everything you can (as far as onboard devices) in the BIOS. Usually when Windows XP setup hangs here, it's a USB issue, but disabling other things (if disabling USB entirely doesn't work) won't hurt either.

I had a similar problem trying to RIS over the onboard NIC on one of my desktops. I switched to a PCI card (Broadcom in fact) and it worked perfectly. I did have to replace the driver that Microsoft had for the Broadcom with the driver from the manufacturer.

What kind of laptop is this?

It's a Clone Laptop from our suppliers.

They buy the bit and build the laptop/PC's for us as and when required.

I did have a similar problem with on-board NIC. It worked fine for 12 months then one day stopped working. I installed a PCI 3com NIC and it worked fine again.

It may even be something to do with it being a 10/100/1000 NIC (some thing I read some where on the net!) but its strange why it worked for so long and then stopped :wacko:

This, of course, is not really an option on a laptop! :(

What conerns me and has me completely baffled is why the laptop does this during an install from CD also. At least that was the case earlier in this thread. I think that if you can't figure out the issue with an install failing from CD, you're not going to figure it out for RIS either.

The two installation types really aren't as different as some might think, but there are a couple more things thrown in the mix with RIS. Therefore, it may be easier to solve if you use the less complex CD install method for troubleshooting.

If you power off the laptop when it hangs, and power it back up again, does it continue on with setup? We had one particular model machine do that, it had a broadcom nic in it. If I remember correctly it was to do with the driver because the driver we had wasn't digitally signed.