HardLink on CD ISO?

purg99

Im at pressent unable to try myself while being away from home so:- Ive got my UACD source setup so that the OEM directory uses NTFS hardlinks to save time and space. Now im looking at making a multi boot cd I would like to use this on CD. I know UltraISO has an option called optimize but I want more control. Can any ISO format handle something like the NTFS hardlink? and if so what utils will be needed.

Optimize is basically the same as a hardlink. However if you change a file xxxx in the ISO, the change will not carry to other xxxx files. After any change in an optimized ISO, you should recompile the ISO with the optimize switch again else you run the risk of image corruption.

A few ISO prog's that can optimize:

--These are free and easy to find. Use the GUI if you don't like throwing switches at programs.

-Best IMO to use for MS xin1 builds.

CDImage

CDIMAGE GUI

Also free, very feature rich and can get you in trouble...used by PeBuilder. Better than cdimage if you know what you are doing.

MKISOFS

Not Free but very useful for editing and creating optimized ISO files

UltraISO -the best I think. Has a feature that can est. the size of optimized ISO files w/o actually compiling it.

MagicISO

If you are working with ISO's that are optimized, avoid WinISO like the plague.

Hardlink use one file, but create different directory entries.

To get this at cd, one way is optimization:

Read duplicate files twice, create MD5 chechsum for each file, find duplicate files, add file once and create different directory entries.

cdimage and mkisofs-mingw32 bootcd-ru (PEBuilder use that version by default).

Another solution: use NTFS hardlinks.

Read hardlinks, read duplicate files once, add file once and create different directory entries.

Cygwin support NTFS hardlinks: mkisofs-cygwin support NTFS hardlinks.

Use: 'mkisofs -follow-links -cache-inode ...'

The second solution require less CPU calculation.