Problems booting Knoppix

Darude1234

(Already read http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...6entry133066)

Yesterday I succesfully added Knoppix to my Multibootable DVD. It boots, but after it searched for USB Devices it says:

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.

Where can I get that filesystem. I suppose that it's on the cd, but I copied all the files.

My DVD looks like this:

BOOT --> with CD-Shell in the directory and and a directory with isolinux where a ISOLINUX.BIN and a KNOPPIX.BIN (bootimage of Knoppix iso) is located.

ISOLINUX the same directory I put in the BOOT-directory

KNOPPIX with a KNOPPIX file of 46.22MB (Filesystem?)

and Windows-versions I created following the flyakite guide

in the root of my DVD I have a boot file of the Knoppix ISO called knoppix.bin

and in the cdshell.ini I have a line:

if $lastKey == key[9]; then bcdw boot /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin

What do I do wrong?

P.S. Maybe flyakite can make a tutorial on flyakite.msfnhosting.com :thumbup

Edited by Darude1234

When I get back to my main computer tomorrow, I'll post up how I did it (although I know that I changed it so CDShell is in it's own folder named CDSH and such by hex editing one of the CDSH files so instead of pointing to BOOT it was looking for CDSH). Hopefully someone can help ya out before then. heh...

The basic method I used was described in this topic. Basically, you have to do the following:

1.) Copy the /boot/isolinux folder from the Knoppix CD to some place on your hard drive so you can edit the files.

2.) Rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

3.) Download the file attached to the topic above (you can try clicking this to get the file)

4.) Delete the files boot.cat and isolinux.bin

5.) Place all the files in the /boot/isolinux folder that you just copied to your hard drive into that image (I used MagicISO). Make sure not to copy the folders into the image, just the files.

6.) The topic I used says there should be 12 files in the image file, I personally only have 10 files from the v3.9.1 CD (f2, f3, linux, memtest, logo.16, syslinux.cfg,minirt.gz, german.kbd, boot.msg, ldlinux.sys)

I then used the following CDshell command to boot the image:

if $lastKey == key[6]; then bcdw boot \IMAGES\4320.img

(of course, edit to your needs).

The renaming of the CDshell folder to CDSH isn't really required, I just did because at one point, I had Longhorn on my DVD (since removed as I don't need it anymore). Currently, the Knoppix distro seems to work. I've also managed to get Whax on my DVD and both seem to work great.

hhhmm... Just double checked that it was still working for me and it definately is... And you definately have the Knoppix folder copied to the root of your dvd (ie /KNOPPIX/ is in the root and in there is the KNOPPIX filesystem along with all the other various files)? Attached is what my syslinux.cfg file looks like (not sure if yours looks different or anything, but just in case).

[EDIT]

Just tested with the Knoppix 4.0 CD and it definitely still works.

[/EDIT]

syslinux.cfg.txt

Edited by Screwz Luse

uuummm... It should work with 3.9. The version I used before 4.0 was 3.9.1 and it seemed to work no problem. I'd go through and just double check. If you like, when I get back to the home comp later tonight, I can send you my image file and maybe you can try that out.

Tried it another 3 times, but still gives that stupid can't find filesystem error.

I downloaded the newest version 4.0 and did exactly what's in your description :}

Do you have other suggestions?

Or do I have to download that filesystem file somewhere? maybe that's the problem?

when I get back to the home comp later tonight, I can send you my image file and maybe you can try that out.

If you will do that, that would be great :thumbup

Edited by Darude1234

I uploaded my image file. It's compressed in rar format. Just extract the image to wherever you want and make sure to use that file when "BCDWing" heh... Make sure that the \KNOPPIX\ folder is in the root of the dvd. Knoppix, I believe, looks for the KNOPPIX file (filesystem) in the KNOPPIX folder (the 700+MB file).

Grab the image here

hhhmmm... That's unusual. 4.0 works no problem on my current DVD which contains:

Windows 2003

Windows XP w/ SP2

Windows 2000 w/ SP4

Windows 98 SE

BartPE

Knoppix 4.0

Whax .3 (I believe that's the version)

Partition Magic

Acronis DiskKeeper

I would try what was suggested on the reply before me. I know I personally had problems with that method for some reason but seeing as my method doesn't seem to work for you, it's deffinately worth a shot.