office 2000 application

raven_214

i have this laptop, XP Home OS, Office2K installed. if connected to our LAN, the office application especially my data file is running good. i can open all the files (.doc, .xls, .ppt), but when i disconnect my lan cable, office documents are not opening.

how is that? can anybody help me?

Sounds like either your docs or Office application/s (or both) are installed/saved on the network rather than on your laptop. Have a word with you netadmin - either your docs are being saved to a network "user area" or Office runs via Terminal Services.

while logged on to the network, you may have mapped drives, and office may be saving some profile settings on a network drive.

Also if you have the mapped drives, when you try and open a document it will be slow because windows is trying to find those mapped drives.

try unmapping your drives it you have them

It has been a while since I worked with Office 2K, as I now administer Office 2k3.

With office 2003, it is possible to set up the applications to actually run from an administrative installation on a network share instead of from the local hard drive. I have never used this configuration, but it sounds like that may be is happening to you. While you are on the LAN the apps run fine because they are actually running from the network server, so when disconnected you no have access to the applications.

I apologize if I am way off here, as I said, I have never actually used this configuration.