FAQ | Install drivers on user account w/ limited rights?

FxDeV

Has anyone successfully been able to perform an unattended installation on Win2k for a Multifunction Printer.

I have a dell 962. Dell does not provide certified microsoft drivers for this device. If I install the drivers before deployment of the machine and then have the client plug in their USB printer it tries to reinstall the drivers as each USB device has its own unique identifier. It cannot complete the installation as the users are locked down and the install requires admin rights.

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

• 1 month later...

Has anyone successfully been able to perform an unattended installation on Win2k for a Multifunction Printer.

I have a dell 962. Dell does not provide certified microsoft drivers for this device. If I install the drivers before deployment of the machine and then have the client plug in their USB printer it tries to reinstall the drivers as each USB device has its own unique identifier. It cannot complete the installation as the users are locked down and the install requires admin rights.

(Bump) We've also got a locked environment - and printers aren't available during the machine build. Any information on how to allow users (as non-admins) to install drivers, even months after the intial build, would be appreciated.