PXE Boot files question!

PxeBoot

Hi,

I'm would like to get a good explanation of the following files needed to PXE boot a BartPE using RAM disk with RIS as the PXE Server.

Ntdetect.com

startrom.com

setupldr.exe

winnt.sif (I know what the file is for but would like an explanation of the variables inside the file, expersially %INSTALLPATH% and %MACHINETYPE%.

What order are they used?

How do they relate to each other?

What do they do?

Thanks appriciate any help!

Edited by PxeBoot

Thanks,

I knew the thing about the setupldr.exe being the same as the NTLDR file, I just want to know how they relate to each other and what it does.

Basically when the client boots from the PXE server, what file is the first to be downloaded and run....then what files does this file start until the actual BartPE image is run.

Also how does the PXE server know what files to send, does the PXE Client see the ROOTDIR as a viritual directory after that the PXE Server and the Client has created a session. Or that any files requested on the PXE client are automatically being redirected to the RIS server to be send over if they exist in the ROOTDIR.

And last what does each file do?

I hope this clears up my question a bit.

I'm trying to understand the boot process from a technical point.

I will read the help file you mentioned.

thanks

I am guessing here but its an educated guess

A pxe client broadcasts for two things, an ip address and a bootp server. If ris and dhcp are the same server it replies back with all of this required information. If not it replies with an IP address for client and supplies an IP address (or hostname) and bootp filename for the bootp srever.

The client then downloads this "boot image" which I am presuming is startrom.com, this boot image is specific to MS RIS - other vendors/configurations would issue other images. I beleive the boot image also contains the client installation screens and the BINL which allows the client installation screens to contact AD.

Once this stage is complete and you have selected an image to boot from the installation and windows files you mentioned above performs their usual jobs, I doubt that in a RIS configuration they perform a different job to that of what they normally do - simply googl'ing each file seperately should give you sufficient information

There is LOADS of information on winnt.sif in the unnatended installation area of these forums and the unnatended MSFN website.