Vista 5219 "ultimate" Woes

lotacus

Installed the PDC build and well, NO LDDM support for my 6600GT. Downloaded the beta LDDM drivers from Nvidia, but the app refuses to run in vista, but it ran fine in build 5112. Go figure. Same goes with my Linksys wmp54gs card which was installed as a broadcom but still worked fine in build 5112. In build 5219, it installs as Linksys wmp54gs (the correct card and drivers) but says the drivers could not be installed or have become corrupted. Installed just about every version of these drivers possible to no avail. Using the install drivers automatically (the wizard) the finds the network card, but then it freezes the computer.

In build 5112 it installed my Promise fastrak TX2000 controller card no problem, in build 5219, nada.

Therefore I believe this build to be more crippled than the last build. Congrats Microsoft for working backwards.

Otherwise, if anyone can offer any solutions to the above problems, then please do so. any help would be appreciated.

Installed the PDC build and well, NO LDDM support for my 6600GT. Downloaded the beta LDDM drivers from Nvidia, but the app refuses to run in vista, but it ran fine in build 5112. Go figure. Same goes with my Linksys wmp54gs card which was installed as a broadcom but still worked fine in build 5112. In build 5219, it installs as Linksys wmp54gs (the correct card and drivers) but says the drivers could not be installed or have become corrupted. Installed just about every version of these drivers possible to no avail. Using the install drivers automatically (the wizard) the finds the network card, but then it freezes the computer.

In build 5112 it installed my Promise fastrak TX2000 controller card no problem, in build 5219, nada.

Therefore I believe this build to be more crippled than the last build. Congrats Microsoft for working backwards.

Otherwise, if anyone can offer any solutions to the above problems, then please do so. any help would be appreciated.

update

Been having problems installing the driver for my linksys wmp54gs card. Tried every driver possible even broadcom drivers with still no success. The 5112 drivers worked perfect but for some reason the PDC version of vista broke everything.

Finally I noticed in safemode that I was able to successfully install the driver, so I took a look at the memory resources that were assigned to it, and it had reported that there is a memory range conflict with PCI standard pci to pci bridge. It seems that the WLAN card is dependent on this but they are sharing the same memory address space? I try to manually configure the memory range, but the option to do so is greyed out why is this and does anyone have any potential solutions for this so that I can get the wlan card working?

Is it the WLAN card or is it some other device that Vista didn't install? I know that by looking in device manager in system devices within windows xp, there are a lot more devices installed. I wonder if the same compares to build 5112.

Finally! someone has my same problem! I found out, too, by exploration, that it is related to the bridge. Problem is, i have an ALi chipset and there are no drivers for it that work correctly on vista.(this is my notebook, by the way). I have gotten my wlan card to work, but the sound will crash/halt the system completely. and every once in a while if i insert the card the system will halt. So in pre-beta1 builds, i would have to choose between one or the other, therefore i couldnt do streaming video or anything like that.

What kind of chipset do you have, Lotacus?

Your wireless card uses the same broadcom 4306 chipset as my Motorola WN825G, 'cept mine aint got speed-booster...

Thanks, Modicr, but that doesnt help our broadcom based wifi cards, or atleast not mine, as i have 512mb of memory and that second article you posted pertains to 1gig...Nonetheless, thanks for posting! :thumbup

EDIT: I should add that I've had this wlan problem since 4029(possibly fails in 4015 also, but ive never had that build);4008 works fine :}

Edited by anrkey102

Anyone who has this problem, goto:

http://www.driverpacks.net/Projects/DriverPacks/

I downloaded the Graphics and sound packs and since i have some sort of strange hybrid monster bus in my notebook, the graphics driver fixed the conflict between devices. and the sound installed a different driver-one that actually works now!

So, i am now living happily with wlan and audio in 5219!

Hope this helps you some, lotacus. B)

Anyone who has this problem, goto:

http://www.driverpacks.net/Projects/DriverPacks/

I downloaded the Graphics and sound packs and since i have some sort of strange hybrid monster bus in my notebook, the graphics driver fixed the conflict between devices. and the sound installed a different driver-one that actually works now!

So, i am now living happily with wlan and audio in 5219!

Hope this helps you some, lotacus. B)

This is what I like, people experimenting and responding with successful (or unsuccessful) stories. Other threads, you ask about something that's not working yet, and people just complain "It's a beta! How dare you criticize it! Wait until FINAL before you realize nothing works and MS won't fix it until Blackcomb! That is much better! We have no life but to worship an OS!"

So lame.

Yo. I've tested Vista. I've tested Lycornis and Mandriva. I realized that with the increase in OS complexity, I would have to choose one OS to learn and master. Vista is pretty, sure, but it is just teeming with digital rights management dll's, scripts, and stacks. The nightmare I've faced in stabilizing Vista's installation on my hardware, only to have it totally destroyed beyond hope of recovery after installing a simple, world-renowed anti-virus gave me the push to try linux. You won't believe how much they've advanced in just 100 days. The latest KDE desktops are years ahead of Vista. And with the explosion of .rpm application developement recently, you'll never have to compile a source code ever again. A week put into learning linux is worth a year of troubleshooting Vista.....

• 2 months later...

well it's been quite some time without longhorn, and ALAS, I still have the problem with even the latest build 5259? Whatever. Anyways, I googled the problem and it brought me right back to where I started;here.

Same proglem with the WLAN card. **** broadcom. 43xx drivers is what Windows XP reports. When I install the windows xp drivers, Longhorn..er VISTA, freezes and I have to hit the kill switch on my box.

I'm downloading the WLAN driver pack that was mentioned in this thread to see if it works, I don't expect much home from it, but we'll see.

IndustrialAeon: Yes, I have come to that. I have Installed SUSE OSS 10 on a PIII 900Mhz pc to learn, and I am liking it. I am just getting used to KDE and the small commands that Linux guru's take for granted. LOL When i'm confortable with the graphical interface and other parts of the os, such as what files mean what, the filesystem etc, then i'll probably dig deeper into learning the console. But I must say, Linux has come along way, I remember always trying it out and ditching it over and over again over the past years, just because it wasn't meant for n00bs like myself. At least with SUSE 10, it's making it fun and interesting for me that I want to learn more. so kudo's to that.

anyways, that's it for the update. bye.