Unattended replacing of "Default User" profile?

Hello,

I have been working on an unattended Windows Server 2003 CD and am trying to copy down a "Default User" profile before logging in and watching the rest of my RUNONCEEX commands execute. Does anyone know if this is possible?

The intent is to have a customized "Default User" with preferred views and settings for all users that will access the server. If I execute the xcopy during the RUNONCEEX first logon process it works but NOT for the user account that first logs in. Not a huge deal but I am just trying to make it look polished. TIA.

• 4 months later...

Doesn't have any experience with unattended installation of windows 2003, but in Xp, you would just call your regtweak file through cmdlinex.txt. At this point, only the default user exists, so that the settings are taken for all users, who login to the machine.

Have a look on unattended.msfn.org for a precise description.

I have been working on an unattended .. trying to copy down a "Default User" profile before logging in and watching the rest of my RUNONCEEX commands execute.

The intent is to have a customized "Default User" with preferred views and settings for all users If I execute the xcopy during the RUNONCEEX first logon process it works but NOT for the user account that first logs in. Not a huge deal but I am just trying to make it look polished. TIA.

Possible? YES. The Default profile is finalized during T13 - - BEFORE runonceex takes over.

Explanation:

The default profile is copied to users.Default which is rather useless except as a record of what it was.

when created. The current user during runonceex was the account used during logon (admin).

Merge of reg then would work for only that account. AFTERWARD:

Every new user gets a copy of the REAL default and then the All Users profile gets layered in with it to form the desktop the user sees.

solution:

You should create a reg file and incorporate it into HKCU either during svcpack.inf process or cmndlines.txt during T13 that is the same as the Default user profile.

YOUR method of xcopy?? - a carte blanche replacement of the default profile-?? would not work for the 1st logon because that user account is already created by the time the copy is done.

Another way is to modify the default hiv's in the source\i386 but that is a pain to keep track of

and some things are dynamically created during install erregardless of what is in those.