QuickTime 7.0.x UA

tarquel

Hi all

Its not been out long but I thought I'd see if anyone has tried it repackage QT 7.0.x (currently 7.0.2 at the moment)?

By running the downloaded full exe, it does the usual unpacking which you can find at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp

and it creates (well with me) two dirs and a log in the temp dir.

There is a fair few things in the _is dir :)

The msi wont run independantly unfortunately tho - asks you to use the setup exe (which of course aint there ;)). There's a mst in the dir too, along with another ISScript11.msi file too :S

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nath

Hello, I did get Quicktime 7.0 to install silent and clean up some icons as well.

Use the following SILENT.bat (rename the install executable to SETUP.exe, my personal preference)

SETUP.exe /qn

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QuickTime.qtp "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QuickTimeFavorites.qtr "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y com.apple.QuickTime.plist "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\PictureViewer.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\QuickTime Read Me.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\Uninstall QuickTime.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\QuickTime Player.lnk"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\QuickTime Player.lnk"

taskkill.exe /F /IM qttask.exe

EXIT

PS - I did a manual install, then determined which icons I wanted to 86, then I knew from a previous install that the three files that are copied above are the ones that hold your registration and preferences. After doing a manual install on a test workstation, I coped those three files to my installation source and used them on a second test workstation. In that order, everything goes in just nice. I would attach the supplemental files, but they contain my registration key. Sorry :) Also, to my knowledge, you don't need the QuicktimeInstaller.ini anymore.

Thanks for the reply

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QuickTime.qtp "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QuickTimeFavorites.qtr "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y com.apple.QuickTime.plist "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quicktime"

I've noticed that this part of your script isnt gonna be quite right for this version as they've moved this part of things now.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime
is where the QuickTime.qtp and QuickTimeFavorites.qtr is found.

The other old location will exist from a old ver install btw if you dont remove it manually :)

Just so you know.

Nice work but there must be another/other way(s) - since they had the .ini for version 6.x.x and earlier, they surely have something similar for the this new version.

Perhaps they've adopted the passing commands onto the msi part of things like Sun Java packages :)

You're right, the old .ini doesnt make a blind bit of difference sadly.

Its a much bigger file this new ver - i wonder if there is any ways to de-bloat it (as we all like to debloat things lol)

Good work so far tho :D

Regards

Nath

Edited by it_ybd

Maybe I am missing something but I just downloaded the Full Version from the site and ran /s /v/qn against the base EXE and it worked perfectly. Only problem is the settings are all stored in a quicktime.qtp file stored in "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\apple computer\quicktime". So I made the changes desired in preferences (turned off taskbar icon and updating plus notifications of associations) then copied the file and any additional plist files that got created. Then just setup a quick CMD file to do the silent install and then overwrite the base quicktime.qtp file. Seems to have worked fine on the first couple of systems I have tried.

Chainsaw

Do the qtp file, and the corresponding plist files, only contain preferences? Is there anything linked to the specific system? I had something strange happen on a second system that I simply copied these files to and am now worried there might be something in that specific to the station. I am making an image to be used on about 35 systems and was just curious. If I have to manually configure the quicktime on each system I will.

Thanks for any feedback.

Chainsaw

If you can hang on for a bit before finishing the image, we'll see if there is any command lines that allow you to specify the preferences in the install.

I'm convinced there has to be a way ;)

Regards

N.

Thanks for the heads up on the new locations (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime). I have updated my install scripts. You had a good point and it was something that I failed to investigate. I ran the install on two XP Pro workstations, both if which had 6.5.2, so of course those paths worked.

Surprisingly, this method works for silent installation. :P

QuickTimeInstaller.exe /s

No additional switches required, and no need to extract the two embeded msi's :)

YOu can also use INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=FALSE if you don't want the desktop shortcut.

Edited by totoymola

• 3 weeks later...