Nothing Shows on Screen

mwahsun

Hi, I just found out around dawn that my computer was on, but only the harddrive. When I pushed the power button it loads like when your turning on the comp, but its already on. Anyways, I kind of tone down by brightness and contrast since my eyes were kind of hurting, after I go to start -> and then shut down my computer, and when it shuts down it still still on. I end up getting annoyed by it and juss turn off the power plug and the whole deal. Next thing I know, I turn on the computer and nothing shows up on screen. Everything is running, i can hear fans. I have checked my GFXcard and it seems like its running. I've tried other monitors, and it still doesnt work. I need a solution to this problem fast!! plz help!!

Are you sure that your computer isn't set to some sort of hibernate or sleep mode when you turn off your computer?

Unplug the power cord from the back of the computer and open up the computer case. Try reseating the video card and RAM chips.

Edited by Asin

I have checked my settings and the whole deal, reseated ram and gfx card. I just dont know whats wrong. Also the files that I am sharing on this comp can't be accessable, so it mite be the software problem, I am not quite sure!

A hard shutdown can damage Windows (any OS really), if it were writing when it got shut off. Do you see anything on-screen before Windows starts? If not you probably have a hardware problem or corrupted BIOS. (Or you turned the brightness down too far.) Otherwise try going into the recovery console (boot from your Windows CD) and doing chkdisk and chkntfs.

If you don't see anything, even before Windows starts, but everything else seems normal (speaker beeps, keyboard lights do whatever they usually do, drives spin up as the BIOS looks for boot records, and startup sounds play) then you probably just messed up your video card somehow.

Edited by HyperHacker

would this literally wipe all the data off my C drive? I also pressed the reset button and the powerplug a few times trying to fix this problem, and it seems to have gotten worse. :} now it makes beeps when I turn on the comp! Also nothing even shows up on the screen, so i cant reboot or bootdisk of that sort. It is just p***ing me off

Edited by mwahsun