Service Control Manager and Event 7031

hongt_99

I have Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 as a front end and it keeps crashing with Service Control Manager and event id 7031.

The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

The Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

It keep crashing constantly.

rjz.. I hope you dont mean reinstall the whole server. Just the fact that hongt said front end server should indicate that this is a corporate enviroment. Reinstall should be the last option

A few things I have notices about exchange is its inability to work with AV software. a few things I would try would be to stop AV scanning on The M: drive. (Exchange 2000)

Exchange databases, logs and checkpoint files across all storage groups. By default, these are located in the Exchsrvr\Mdbdata folder.

Exchange MTA files in the Exchsrvr\Mtadata folder.

Directory Exchsrvr\server_name.log file which contains the tracking log.

The Exchsrvr\Mailroot virtual server folder.

The working folder that is used to store streaming temporary files that are used for message conversion. By default, this folder is located at \Exchsrvr\MDBData, but you can configure the location.

The temporary folder that is used for offline database maintenance with Eseutil.exe and Isinteg utilities.

Site Replication Service (SRS) files in the Exchsrvr\Srsdata folder.

Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) system files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Inetsrv folder.

Also.. the stopping and starting of those services are characteristics of the code red worm and nimda, so I would check for those.

As far as nntp.. i know exchange requires it to be installed when you install exchange.. but if you dont use it.. just uninstall it through add or remove components. It is not necessary for normal exchange functionality.

I assume you have the latest service packs on not only Windows 2000 server but on exchange server as well?.

Can you link this problem to some type of system change?

I think I fixed that when I spoke with Microsoft support, they said to intall the August post sp3. Now, I keep getting metabase update failure on all the exchange server. I called microsoft support back on this issue and they are stumped on it. It seem to fix the problem once I run setup /domainprep on the domain controller. I told microsoft that setup /domainprep will get the exchange back up and running but it is only temporary. Anyone else experience this problem?

Thank you

Tony

are we talking metabase synchronization failure.. what error is this causing exactly. Are you talking the ISUR_Servername passwords not sync'ing and becoming bad after a while..

Specifically what error are you getting

So if MS said that a fix was made for Post SP3.. just curious.. did you up date all the way to SP4 with Update Rollup?

Here is the error I get.

Source: MSEXChangeMU

Event id: 1002

Description:

Metabase Update agent failed to start. Erro code is 80040a01.

Source: MSExchangeDSAccess

Category: Topology

Event ID: 2103

Process MAD.EXE (PID=1680). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding.

Source: MSExchange SA

Event id: 9004

The Metabase update service failed to start. error '80040a01'

Source: MSExchangeSA

Event ID: 1005

Unexpected error An unknown error has occurred. ID no: 80040a01. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.