ntkrnlmp.exe error 7 install issue

illusha

hi there,

i've been browsing the net trying to solve my recent installation problem

i have an IBM Netfinity rackmounted server: 4500R 8656-RY

Dual PentiumIII 733Mhz, 1Gig PC133 SDRAM, ATI 128 PCI, Ultra160 PCI IDE

the server was cut into 3 pieces to fit into a short-depth 6U amp-rack

used to work wonderfully (with some problems) when it was one piece

i am using time-proven floppies and boot CD that i've used on this machine before

when i try to istall XP i have to use the 6 boot floppies as i have no cd rom support initially for some reason... as soon as i get to floppy 2 it presents this:

File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded

The error code is 7

from goggling around i found out that this file is a multiprocessor kernel, and it can be bypassed by pressing F7 (which loads a single processor kernel) when you see the F6-F2 prompt... that didnt work for me (as for many other people seems like)... i also tried the F5 method which is supposed to get to a dialogue window - nothing happened there either... i tried to re-write all 6 floppies in case if any files were corrupted - no changes... i uninstalled and reinstalled the battery, all PCI cards and RAM chips - no changes there either...

any ideas???

yeah, i think that XP CD is not bootable... cuz i just booted a Linux off of a different CD... so, question - can i take all the files from my existing XP CD, copy them to my computer, and then record them using Nero's Bootable CD option???

However, i dont think that is the problem... other people have gotten the same Error 7 message while booting from a CD...

I believe that the problem is in the hardware. Like i said, it worked beautifully before i took it all apart. This machine is weird, it is so particular...

Since yesturday i've tried resetting all the microswitches on the mobo (ex: switching to 100 instead of 133 bus) and i've been running a built into BIOS Norton Diagnostics, which checked everything (like DIMMs and CPUs) for a LONGEST time (hours) and found no problems...

WTF??????????

that problem could be one of a few things.. most commonly:

bad ram

misconfigged hard disks

check your bios, make sure your hdd's are set up properly, if theres an option to "load optimised defaults" try that, and also set your cd-rom to first boot device, followed by primary hdd..

then try setup again

Run your copy of XP thru nlite, don't make any changes and get nlite to make you an ISO which you can burn to a CD, this will be bootable, or use CDImageGUI which can do the same thing if you dont want to install nlite and the dotnet framework.