hard drive problem

the good thing about nVidia ide/sata/raid drivers are, it makes your system run faster, the bad thing is, it's not always compatible and does cause crashes. Works for some (especially software used for benchmarking), but causes problems for much more.... Your's seems to be the first case I've heard of when dealing with SATA alone.

As for your Event errors, I forgot to write, right-click each event, then clear your log, click no when prompted to save. This way you can pinpoint the exact one.

You know, from all the errors I was getting from nVidia, I started pointing my clients towards boards with the VIA chipset; my clients are educated about updating. Although, now with the kt8xxxx not supporting AMD x2's, a bug in the chipset, I'm wondering if I should stick with VIA (no dual, but less strange problems)

I just want to be clear,

You modified your boot.ini to have

/noexecute=alwaysoff

And then reInstalled your drivers (less the nVidia ATA/IDE).

One other question: If you are using a slip CD, did you apply any Reg entries to mod the default services?

Edited by svasutin

I just want to be clear,

You modified your boot.ini to have

/noexecute=alwaysoff

And then reInstalled your drivers (less the nVidia ATA/IDE).

One other question: If you are using a slip CD, did you apply any Reg entries to mod the default services?

i dont actually know where to find the boot ini :blushing:

and i dont know what a slip CD is :} i feel kinda stupid but for now i have removed my large hdd and done a fresh install of windows

if you could help me out with a quick tutorial on how to do what you said i would be very grateful,thats if you have the time B)

Well, don't worry about your boot.ini.

What is the brand and power rating of your power supply? It could be that you power supply cannot handle all the drives and video card in your system. This issue would show up when XP needs to request information from a drive, and hence the drives spin up, but your power supply can't handle all your devices.

Also, who makes your motherboard, and what model?

With 2 GBs of RAM I don't think it is a windows issue; if it was 3, then I'd consider the memory a potential problem.

i didnt install any sata drivers because i dont have a floppy drive
So how do you install Windows? Without a floppy, and without some kind of slip CD, you should not be able to install windows.

Well, don't worry about your boot.ini.

What is the brand and power rating of your power supply?  It could be that you power supply cannot handle all the drives and video card in your system.  This issue would show up when XP needs to request information from a drive, and hence the drives spin up, but your power supply can't handle all your devices.

Also, who makes your motherboard, and what model?

With 2 GBs of RAM I don't think it is a windows issue; if it was 3, then I'd consider the memory a potential problem.

So how do you install Windows? Without a floppy, and without some kind of slip CD, you should not be able to install windows.

i used my xp cd to install the os (is this a slip cd?)

my motherboard is a Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI

and my power supply is a Thermaltake PurePower 560w

The native nvidia S-ATA on nf4 ultra/sli boards do not require drivers during windows installation.

i was still getting bsod after i removed the hard drive so i have given up on that mobo now,i just bought one of these instead B) 539_l.jpg

thanks for all the help,i only hope i dont need more when i put this one in :lol: