USB Installation

M1thrandir

Ok, heres the scenario. I burned the image onto a DVD+R. I reboot with it in the drive and go through the install thing. I am using a Dell Inspiron 6000 and want to install Vista on an external Seagate 120gb USB drive. I just took an ATA drive stuck it in a USB case. The install goes well and everything, but upon next boot I get that stupid stop 0x0000007B BSOD. Anyone have any solutions? Or anyone have any steps to give me on how to install it correctly. Heres my specs:

Dell Inspiron 6000

40gb internal drive

120gb external usb drive

If you need anymore info or anything just let me know. Any help is appreciated.

I know there have been posts with this same BSOD error but they have all be in much different scenarios than mine and I didnt want to make a post in someone elses thread in which they are asking for help and possibly take away the attention from them and the help they need.

Anything is welcome. :)

I may be missing something deeper here, but I wouldn't try installing on a USB drive, as booting from them is not yet 'standard'.

It seems that vista found the drive and partition, but after it went to restart, it didn't want to boot off a removable drive.

I'd try putting in the ATA drive (vista installation) as a IDE drive (primary master) and boot up the PC. It hopefully will boot off the drive now, but i'd doubt you will be able to use a USB drive as a bootable system drive.

Ya, I didnt think there was an official way to boot from an external USB drive. But I have seen that some peioke have done it. I dont know how or anything like that. So maybe if I want another OS on the drive I should just put Gentoo or something like it on it. Cuz I'm pretty sure you can boot externally with linux, maybe a little more work to do though. So if anyone else has any suggestions on my situation with vista and the usb drive let me know. :)

Ya, I had it set to boot from the external drive. I cant remember if it said just external drive or if it said USB drive. I think I had it set to start from the CD/DVD drive, then the external, then the internal, then something else. But ya, not really sure what to do if there is anything I can do. If anyone has some hacks or something like that, that I can do to get it to work or mods or something. Anything is appreciated. :)