Installing Photoshop 3.0.5 (old) Windows 2K

Egon's Dragon

I don''t know if this is the right place, but I have a problem: I have an old version of Photoshop, 3.0.5, and would like to install it on Windows 2000, but the installer just hangs and I have to kill it. During the installation it wants to install into a folder called Win32Apps, which of course isn't in W2K. Basically, how can I install this old version of Photoshop in Windows 2000? Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? I thought installing even such an old version on W2K shouldn't be a problem.

Not to be rude or anything, but why would you want to even install Photoshop 3.0.5 on Windows 2000? I've actually had bad experiences installing very old software on newer operating systems.

If you were installing it in XP, you'd be able to use the compatibility tab under the file's Properties to make it install properly... I can't remember if its in Windows 2000 as well....

I want to install it because, well, I have it, and I the 5.5 upgrade. Do you know how expensive this software is? Extremely. Sure, I could download it somewhere, but I don't want 7, it's too huge and demanding for my machine. I guess I'll try a DOS emulator.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I struggled with some DOS emulators, like VDSM, to no avail; I simply made a shortcut on the desktop for the installer, enabled Win 95 compatibility, and boom, installed fine, but strangely, very slowly. And, also strangely, if I enable Win 95 compatibility to use Photoshop 3, I get an error about 16-bit drivers or somesuch, but if I disable compatibility, no error. Well, whatever.