Please help me confirm this

Why?

Without checking through all the incorrectly formatted, hex strings, it looks as if you have removed two registry keys, rebooted, re-added the content of those two keys and rebooted.

What are you trying to achieve?

Could you not simply stop and /or disable the service!

well, no I can't..this is a part of something I'm pokin' in.

But wasn't sure however someone else that asked for this demonstrated ( yes, removing a service entry and then restore it ) had done it right or not....coz it works on my machine.

And do I need to have a reason really, I'm simply asking for help with testing this...nothing else.... :)

But can you please tell me what is incorrectly formatted..and maybe perhaps give the correct one...... :whistle: ?

Edited by Clint

You can use the attached script to remove the service. But you will not be able to enable the service any more (so backup your registry).

Pawan

Edited by pawan

The incorrect bit is that all the code you entered has been modified incorrectly due to a problem with the formatting of the forum software.

There is no guarantees that the content of your two keys will match anyone elses. Also even without the formatting errors, how many of us will be able to verify that all the hex code is in fact correct.

If you want people to try your idea, ask them to backup their own keys first, reboot, check in services.msc, reinstate their keys again, reboot and check again.

Also, why remove from, CurrentControlSet and ControlSet001? what about ControlSet002? Why not retry it using only CurrentContolSet?

If the point of your exercise is to verify that once removed from that part of the registry, your service will not show in the services.msc console, then that could have just been your question. The answer to which would have been yes, you can also note that the same would have been true had you used sc query AppMgmt at the commandline.

Whatever you're pokin' in, there is definitely a safer and better way of achieving your goal.

Well thats an answer! :D

Everything you say makes sense..ofcourse.

I should have been more specific in my explanation..and also as you say..tell any daredevil that would be interested in helping to backup his reg first..

CurrentControlSet is just that, and pointing to the actual ControlSet.

ControlSet001 is usually used by default to boot the computer and ControlSet002..or higher.., contains the Last Known Good configuration...usually.... :blink: ..thats why.

Yes, with this it was only a matter of removing it from the console...but not really what I'm doing... the whole package out/in is the intention (related executables and extensions pared with unregging them if it is required).

ADMIN can delete this, sorry for taking up space :)

Edited by Clint