MANY install problems

jabbermacy

OK, I know I can't install either the x32 of x64 LH onto a RAID so I dug up an old IDE drive and tried to install on it, but it STILL complains that it 'could not analyze disks'. That's on my main machine (homebuilt A64 3000+ w/ gigabyte MB). On my second machine, it seems to want to install but freezes after the reboot at 'staring installation...'. That machine (DELL DIM 8300) has serial ATA and IDE drives (trying to install onto IDE drive).

Does ANYBODY have any ideas what could be causing these symptoms on my machines? I still don't see where to install drivers (ala f6 w/ XP).

HELP!!

(ps. with a FAILED LH install, how do you get rid of the pre-boot screen that seems to want to always choose 'LH installation'? If I can't get this thing installed, I don't want to be teased ever time I boot!!! ;)

Edited by jabbermacy

Thanks for all the replies.

1) got it running on the Dell - the installer did not like leaving the install DVD in the drive - yank out the disk after reboot and worked fine (!!!)

2) STILL can't get it to install on my RAID machine (not ON the raid, just onto another IDE drive)

3) if I run LH on my dell, it pops up something saying it recognized my d-link router and I start to get disconnects (a network cable is unplugged) every 30 sec or so on BOTH machines. Using XP no problems with my network...

Again, truly, deeply, thanks for all your replies ;)

(ps. with a FAILED LH install, how do you get rid of the pre-boot screen that seems to want to always choose 'LH installation'?  If I can't get this thing installed, I don't want to be teased ever time I boot!!! ;)

I saved my old boot files from root dir and copied them over the Vista ones. Usually you can edit your boot.ini file in system/advanced/start and recovery and just erase the longhorn line and/or choose not to display op system list when booting, haven't tried this time though but on previous Longhorn versions it worked :) .