replace all XP services?

jisin63

Ok, so we all know that closing unneeded services saves resources. Alas, there are many, many that need to be always on or set to manual to have some functionality. The annoying thing is, most of these services don't stop when they aren't needed anymore. The one exception is IMAPI, which is the built-in CD burning service of XP. It's on when you need it, off when you don't. I believe that most, if not all services can have this functionality. I recently found a program called Winserv. I think it can do the trick. Any thoughts?

Ya, I could throw together a quick Java gui. But I'm looking for some input here. Is this a good idea? I mean, take spoolsv. It should not start-up unless I ask it too (I print every 3 days) and it should either shut down the second it finishes or turn off after a certain time. Can anyone think of other services that should be improved? Maybe re-written all together? I would like to refer everyone to Black Viper for reference. Cheers.

What do you propose to do about prefetch? You know you can change it's behavior in the registry: prefetch. Do you have a suggestion to improve it's performance? One idea is to not have prefetch scan in the background, but rather load the programs that are listed in the most used programs of the start menu. Can you guys think of another way? Other programs to be improved upon?

when i do /prefetch:1 for shortcuts on my desktop it loads in 1 sec for me anyways. i would like prefetch to have used alot more for like installing programs to loading them, may have prefetch have the programs that i download to load on the hdd fast. we could also have them prefetch files in c:\windows\prefetch\ compressed.