Sued for leaving?

rhythmnsmoke

Can you seriously be sued for leaving your job? I was on The Inquirer and came upon this.

Google man warned of Ballmer attack

Beware the teeth that bite, the claws that snatch

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 28 July 2005, 09:09

CHIEF Software Architect of Microsoft, Bill Gates, warned a manager leaving to go to Google that the softly spoken shy and retiring Steve Ballmer was going to make an example of him, it's being claimed.

The conversation between Gates and Kai Fu-lee has come out of documents presented by Google in its countersuit against the Vole, reports a Seattle newspaper.

Apparently, as he was clearing out his desk to go to Google, Fu-Lee was summoned to see Gates, deep in the depths of the Redmond Voles' nest.

Gates, claims the hacks, apparently told Fu-Lee that Vole was becoming increasingly concerned about Google siphoning away talent - and, perhaps, intellectual property.

"Steve (Ballmer) is definitely going to sue you and Google over this. He has been looking for something like this, someone at a VP level to go to Google. We need to do this to stop Google."

Obviously the thought of Ballmer making an example of you would terrify anyone, Google's briefs claim.

think it was on news frontpage here at msfn, and reading the article it was in his contract that he can't work for a competitor within 12months of leaving M$, so in effect he's breaking the contract he signed when started, which becomes nullified when he leaves as contract has expired.

strange world...

think it was on news frontpage here at msfn, and reading the article it was in his contract that he can't work for a competitor within 12months of leaving M$, so in effect he's breaking the contract he signed when started, which becomes nullified when he leaves as contract has expired.

strange world...

But how is Google a competitor of Microsoft?

if microsoft enters every market, then they're competing with everyone, and perhaps a monopoly.

However, I dare say that MS main product is Windows & Office, whereas Google service is search.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

yeah, that's my thoughts. that's why I felt it was a bit of a stretch to say they were competitors.

*Update*

Judge backs Microsoft

Google employee are belong to Vole

By Nick Farrell: Friday 29 July 2005, 08:10

A ROBED not wigged one from a Superior Court has ruled that a bloke who defected from Microsoft to Google cannot do any work that is similar to what he used to do for Vole.

Judge Steven Gonzalez granted a temporary restraining order barring Kai Fu-lee from working at Google on any product, service or project similar to those he worked on at Microsoft, including internet and desktop search technology.

Gonzalez said that Microsoft has a well-grounded fear that leaked trade secrets could hurt its business. A Google lawyer requested a more specific list of tasks Lee could perform. Microsoft said it would provide the court with its recommended list by Monday.

Kai Fu-lee currently earns a million dollars a year working for Google. The outfit has rolled out a lot of new services lately. We suspect that all Microsoft will let Fu-Lee do for Google is clean out the men's toilets, which will make for a very expensive janitor.

Wish I was making a mill a year.

Edited by rhythmnsmoke