Burning CD extra sectors

Hi,

I've prpared a UA WinXP CD, is 760 MB

My Burners (Roxio, Nero) NOT allowed me burning 760 MB in a 700 MB CD.

I red somewhere there is a patch or a utility enabling that.

Am I right???

TNX for yr help

coucou

The method you're describing is called OverBurning. It is possible in Nero (without any patches), but I wouldn't recommend pushing 760MB, as you may damage your drive. I think the DriveSpeed utility in Nero can tell you how far you can push your OverBurning limits. Run the tool and then set it to the next lowest minute (it'll give you a time index).

See if you can 7-zip some of your installers. keyotime has made a great tutorial here that will not only make the installers silent (no need for switches in the batch file/RunOnceEx/whatever), but it will also help shrink some of the installers to a more useful size for your CD.

TNX guys for yr help

I 7-zipped some applications and downsized to 710MB.

I'm not familiar with Nero, i'm using Roxio 7.

I didn't find any overburning settings in DriveSpeed utility

Here bellow my Expert options enclosed image

Does 82 min Maximum CD Size means 700MB???

How to adust it??? in other world What size for a min, sec, fm???

Is there any other Nero adjustement???

Regards

coucou

Well... you can probably do the math yourself.

700MB/80min = 8.75MB/Min

That means that if you set the overburn to 82Min, you'll get a CD with a maximum size of ~717MB. I'd still run the tests to see the limit of your drive. Every drive is unique in this department (even drives of the same model).

Did you also look at the last little setting right below Overburning? That'll get you a little more space on the CD as well. ;)

Sorry, it's not the DriveSpeed tool, it's the CD-DVD Speed. Look under Extra->OverBurning Test. That will tell you how far you could push overburning, but I wouldn't use that number as the limit since you run the risk of damaging your drive.

Hope this helps!

Well... you can probably do the math yourself
Exact!!!

The overburning was setted to 82 min as default.

I setted it to 84 min and i checked Enable geneartion of short lead out ("little setting right below Overburning")

NO change: I have 2 burnes (LG (CD-RW) and NEC (DVD-RW)

I get with both drives the following error message:

There is not enough space to burn compilation onto this disk

Data to be written 706 MB (740 626 432 bytes)

Space available on the disk 702 MB (736 970 752 bytes)

Regarding CD-DVD Speed, I can't write anything in Extra->OverBurning Test-->Test Capacity

Regards

coucou

Just a note about overburning - you need to burn the disc in "Disc-at-once" mode instead of "Track-at-once".

As for the CD-DVD Speed test - do you have a blank disc in the drive? You need a blank disc as a dummy disc (since it simulates burning) for the test.

Do the test before you set your over burning settings in Nero. Otherwise there's a good chance you'll end up with a failed disc or a busted drive.

TNX Zxian,

I got it... by burning the disc in "Disc-at-once" :thumbup

Regarding CD-DVD Speed test, sure i've put a blank disc in the drive, but still I can't write anything in Extra->OverBurning Test-->Test Capacity

Regards

coucou

Have you made sure that the drive listed in the main window of CD-DVD Speed lists your burner drive that the blank disc is in? If you've got multiple burners, you need to select the drive before testing overburning capacity.

Have you made sure that the drive listed in the main window of CD-DVD Speed lists your burner drive that the blank disc is in? If you've got multiple burners, you need to select the drive before testing overburning capacity.

YES YES and again I can't write anything in Extra->OverBurning Test-->Test Capacity

Don't worry, I could burn my CD

Regards

coucou