win xp sp2

rjz

Everything seems fine on a compute I have at work but for some reason when I type in or select windows update from my list IE with auto maticlaly freeze before it even loads. Why is this? How can I fix this? IE works with all other sites. I could understand if it frooze when loading but t's right after ie starts to load the page. nothing is on the screen but ie's white page. No graphics no text.

Where is your "Usual Spot" did you check Tools-> Internet Options-> General-> Settings-> View Objects

Do you see "WUWebControl Class" this is the active X control that MS uses for Windows update... if you have it there.. does it say damaged or unknown.. heck.. even if it is there.. right click on it and hit remove and go back to windows update and download it again.

Sometimes odd problems like that can be caused be a broken DLL, an corrupt ActiveX component, a bad registry entry. Anything is possible, and you could spend days or even weeks looking for the solution. Sometimes the best thing to do is just a clean re-install of windows to get everything running smooth again.

To find out if auto updates are working.. uninstall a critical update from add or remove programs (I know, probably not the safest way) and it will prompt you to restart your computer

after you restart I would give it about 5 min or so to see if the little globe pops up.. if it doesnt, restart Automatic Updates and the BITS service that will get it started again.. if it doesnt pop up then it probably isnt working......................then manually download the critical update and reinstall it.

as for the plugin.. that is a little odd. add microsoft.com to your trusted sites and reset your web settings then try going to it.

I found the problem it was a program call epi. It was lpcking wua nd it was also looping sys reboot. Removing that program worked. I only found this out when looking in my event viewer in the mis errors section. What a pia. But I am glad it's fixed.