Installation over Network

liquidplasmaflow

First, I think (but am not certain) that this is the right forum for this post. If I'm wrong, please slap me with a tuna and move this into the right forum. Now, that that's over with, let's get to the hard part. :wacko:

I am soon to be acquiring an older computer that I have no real use for as a workstation. Since it's the only computer I'll have other than my workstation, I figure it might behoove me (don't ask, I heard my dad say behoove once, and now it's stuck :blink: ) to turn the old machine into a server. Of course, that's the easy part. The hard part is what I want its' main purpose to be; I want to be able to install Windows XP onto my workstation, over a network. Crazy? Probably :sneaky: . But the method to my madness is that I want a fast, easy way to reformat (without discs and such) AND that it will be easier to make modifications to my Windows XP distribution this way; I'll just have to edit a folder, instead of having to do that and make and burn an ISO file.

Any ideas?

a.) create boot medium. You can decide if it would use dos or PE.

b.) create shared on "server"

c.) connect to pc from dos and launch installation.

If this would work for you, you can start playing with things like PXE etc.

But first create boot medium and connect to server.

you can set your "Server" up with windows 2003 Server and install remote installation services. .. make sure when you install the server that you create a second partition to store your OS Images

After your Server is installed.. go through the wizard and create an image

Use pxe on your workstation and install over the network

Now there is MUCH more to it than this but I i find this to be the easiest way. This can get you started

Hi Martin Z.

a.) create boot medium. You can decide if it would use dos or PE.

b.) create shared on "server"

c.) connect to pc from dos and launch installation.

If this would work for you, you can start playing with things like PXE etc.

But first create boot medium and connect to server

Im just thinking... Wont there be a problem after the text part of the setup is finished? The computer makes a reboot, and resumes in GUI-mode but now it will have lots its network connection....ehh? Or am I missing something?

Kind Regards.

Martin Andersen