300gb hdd, recognized as 131 in setup

Hello, I didn't have a clue what to type in to search for a problem like mine, so I'm posting a new topic. Here's my problem.

I bought a new Maxtor 6L300R0 300GB harddrive. In the BIOS, this harddrive is recognized as 300.1GB. I got into Windows XP, and began partitioning and formatting the harddrive into 3 parts. I formatted them all as NTFS. I then disconnected my primary harddrive, made the 300GB the master, and continued to install Windows XP. When setup reached the point of selecting a partition, there was only one choice, and it was 131GB. So I quit setup and went back into windows. I deleted the partitions, I tried it with just one big 300GB, and I've tried repartitions with no formats etc. Nothing seems to be working. Is there anything special I have to do? Something that I'm missing maybe? I thought I might could use Norton Ghost and ghost the drive I'm using over to a single partition on that drive, and maybe Norton would recognize the partitions correctly. I also heard that if I install windows on the 131GB drive it sees, that I can go into windows afterward and format the rest of the 300 from there, but I didn't want to waste the time of setting up windows to find that it really only thinks it has 131GB.

Thanks for any help, I need it badly. :}

Stephen

Edited by MasterMind8687

Thanks a lot Kenshin, that was the problem. I'm still having a problem though. I have 3 partitions on the drive, but I can't seem to get the third one to format. It keeps freezing at 10% and slowing windows to a crawl. I'm going to try to fix it in a bit, but if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks again