Is it possible to make a software installer CD?

f9cator

Hi guys, I would like to know if it is possible to create a CD that will automatically runs and install a bunch of software when I insert it.

For example when I insert this CD, it will start installing the software one by one onto the computer without having to launch each individual one.

Is there such an application that can do this?

You could use a CD with a WPI on it.

You could modify the autorun.inf, so that the WPI is started automatically and set a timer in WPI. with this you have a CD, which installs, after e.g. 1 min youre dafult apps, but also could choose additional programs to install. There is an extra forum for WPI on this forum.

Second way would be to call a cmd file through the autorun.inf, with which you install all you're apps.

By the way, don't know if you know, if there exists a autorun.inf file on a CD, it's executed, when you insert the CD ( if you don't have deactivated the autorun for CDROM ).

Hope this helps a little bit.

You first have to create a cmd-file e.g. Myappsetup.cmd and put in the root of your CD.

The Myappsetup.cmd could be ( this would install mozilla and the Daemon-Tools silently on after another):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM Example, how to look for CDROM-drive. Must have a file to identify in its root (like WIN51 or Myappsetup.cmd).

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\Myappsetup.cmd set CDROM=%%i:

echo Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM%

REM install Mozilla

start /wait %CDROM%\Install\Mozilla\setup.exe -ma -ira

REM install the Daemon-Tools

start /wait %CDROM%\Install\Daemon\daemon.msi /qn /Reboot=Suppress

exit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of the "start /wait" Mozilla and the D-Tools install one after another.

Put your apps in the directory called Install on your CD

Then you create a file autorun.inf, like:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[AutoRun]

open=Myappsetup.cmd

icon=Myicon.ico,0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put an icon file called Myicon.ico in the root of the CD

And that should be all to create a CD, which installs Mozilla and Daemon Tools silently, when you insert the CD (of course only if the autorun for CD is enabled, if not you'd have run the cmd manually).

By the way, the icon file and the icon entry in the autorun.inf aren't necessary, but I think a little nicer with this.

You also could use the Windows Post Installer ( have a look at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=93 ). Excellent little tool to install software. with this you can create a CD, so that the WPI starts and you can chosse the software to be installed.

I hope this helps a little.

Edited by Doc Symbiosis

• 2 weeks later...

There are many options, WPI, WIHU, kTOOL, etc....

I have tried most of em, WIHU is the only one that would work the way I wanted it to, but all the others were awesome progs as well. Just test em out and see which one you like the best, then do what Doc Symbiosis suggests. Good luck