Windows 2003 VPN

Hi

I am new to this forum but i have been working with windows for some time now.

My scanario

I work for a company that handles it support for a number of local companies in the area. I am trying to setup a system where we can access our clients networks remotely and automatically. i.e. route based vpn.

My setup

I have a dedicated windows 2003 std server running routing and remote access setup as a lan router and demand dial server. I have setup a number of demand dial interfaces which essentially are ms pptp vpn to our client networks and i have tested them and they work fine. Once a connection is made i can ping the remote machines on the remote network.

My problem

The problem comes in when i try and access the remote network from one of our workstations. I have setup my workstations routing table to use the server and i can see in the server logs that my workstation initiates a request to get to a remote network which in turn causes the correct demand dial interface to dial up. This all works perfectly. The only problem i now have is that i cannot ping any of the computers on the remote network. I can from the server but not from the workstation. TRACERT from the workstation shows that the packets are getting to the server but then no further.

PLEASE HELP.

When you say you cant ping it from the workstations.. do you mean you:

Can't ping remote workstations from the local server.

Can't ping remote workstations from local workstations.

Can't ping the local server from the remote workstations.

From what I gather.. you dont have a route to the remote network from your local workstations. You have a route to the remote network from the server because it is directly connected but the route is not advertised to the workstations that you work from...

hi,

probably ur problem is with metrics. when you use router, you have to specify how mnay metric (hop) you WS is away from other. [router betweens]. try to increase the metric from Advanced box in TCP/IP prop-.

by the way check for any possible firewall or IPSec filter too.

Edited by CrescendoBEAt