NHL, Players' Union Reach Labor Agreement

Zxian

The National Hockey League and the players union announced today a deal in principle on a new collective bargaining agreement, ending a bitter battle that wiped out the 2004-05 season and weakened the sport's tenuous hold on the American sports audience.

The six-year agreement must be ratified by the NHL's Board of Governors, which is expected to unanimously approve a deal that for the first time gives owners a salary cap and other stringent salary limits as tools to manage their spending.

Approval by the NHL Players Assn. could be more contentious, as players digest the complex details of a 600-page agreement. The agreement was announced at mid-morning after an all-night negotiating session in New York.

Source

w00t!!! Hockey season on again next year!!! :thumbup

Edited by Zxian

Yeah, finally !!!

I'm so glad this mess has come to an end.

Maybe it seems a bit odd, cause I'm leaving in the Netherlands, but I am a huge NHL fan !!

I'm quite curious what the offical report has to say about what has been decided, once released.

But I reckon it's like The Great One says: "There's really no winners in this one, we all lost ! "

Anyways; Hockey is back baby !!!

:) :)

So.. we're ready to go after all:

4:06 PM EDT, 07/21/2005

NHLPA members ratify Collective Bargaining Agreement

TORONTO (July 21, 2005) - The members of the National Hockey League Players' Association announced today that they have ratified the Collective Bargaining Agreement reached in principle last week with the National Hockey League.

The 228 players in attendance took part in an intensive review of the prospective deal on Wednesday and Thursday, prior to voting on its ratification early Thursday afternoon. Those players who were unable to attend the meeting were able to review the document over the NHLPA's secured internal website and conduct their vote online.

The NHL's Board of Governors is expected to convene tomorrow in New York, and an affirmative vote on their side would complete the formal ratification process.

Following the announcement of the players' voting result, NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow issued the following statement:

"After two days of thorough discussion and analysis, the players voted in favor of ratifying the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. We expect the owners will ratify the agreement tomorrow as well. Once the ratification process is complete, the focus of everyone can turn to the 2005-06 season."