How To Restore The Registry

$ Dolla-Bill $

Ok i have an older style Gateway computer that is 950 mhz cpu/ 256 mb ram/ running windows xp home. I want to know how to restore the registry back to default. or to better put it.

How do you restore a good registry from the Windows XP cd ? The gateway computer i have i use to play video games on and to test out programs, but now my computer has been running really slow latelty. it takes like what seems to be eternity for the windows to load up.

i have run defrag on the hhd (harddrive) and also ran all my spyware programs. i am aware that if you quarintine certain programs, some programs will cease to work.

but this is not the case not a virus cause i have scanned my hdd and it found nothing.

So can someone tell me how do your restore a good registry using the windows xp cd?

And do you have to do it in command prompt ? Can you restore the reg. from the cd command prompt before windows loads ? or do you have to boot into windows and then from there restore a good registry.

All help is much appreciated.

Edited by $ Dolla-Bill $

Below is an artical from Microsoft on How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP. This will allow you to go back to a different time before you installed something that make your system act wierd. Depending if you have System Restore on, depends if you will be able to do the system restore.

System Restore

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: welcome.gif to the board.

Edited by firefoxthebomb

Are you really sure you want to restore the registry to the "default" - in which case it's like a fresh install state (or when you've done a repair installation) and most of your settings will disappear and most programs won't work.

There're many causes for system slowing down.

system restore is a joke........ just like the admin account and limited user accounts are a joke........

Those so called register cleaner are a joke to. they remove what you need to keep.....

the best way is to do a hand clean up.... could be a driver issue..... do you have a crappy CD in the tray ........ shut down useless aervices and use a program like regrun to look at what is starting up.......

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download531.html

Thanks for the reply's guy's

Yes i am aware of the system restore but as you know, i wanted to make shure that this wasn't a virus so i turned it off and then turned it back on. This erases all the restore points made, but i heard some where that by turning off the restore..

Then back on, it will erase any virus's hiding in the file that was made when the restore was done.

Ok the slow down i know is part of ram too wich i will upgrade to 512mb when i pick up another stick of 256mb. But the main reason is this:

I test out alot of program's on the computer that are virus free when i scan them before installing. anyway's when i delete these programs from my computer, why are they still in the registry ?

When you delete a program it deletes it from the hhd, but why does it still show in the registry ? What my intention is , is to default the .reg back to the way it used to be when i 1st got the computer.

I know there is a way to do this from the windows xp cd. i will check out micro$oft site and see if i can get my answer, but i prefer to get my answer here.

Thanx

Edited by $ Dolla-Bill $

it is just the way it is........ programs leave stuff behind when you remove them......

and if you want to play like I do get an extra hard drive then play...........

and when you find a program you like then and only then do you add it to your everyday hard drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I throw out 99.9% of all software that I try cause they just don't work like advertised....