A batch file can do wonder!

Isnt it just activation that Microsoft implemented a while ago, and so all OEM software must be activated by phone or internet. As i play a lot with notebooks and other pc's when you replace motherboard (same model/same type) all you have to do is replace bios also (leaving old bios in new mainboard) and everything should be fine. Else you have to call microsoft and enter zilion of codes that they give (including 2 phone calls that you have to make, you can't just make one ;p). I think i don't understand what you want to achieve with your batch script that you're trying to make? Maybe someone wanna explain it to me?

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-activation" of Windows XP by the OEMs will be done in one of two different ways depending on the OEM's own configuration options and choices. Some OEMs may protect Windows XP using a mechanism which locks the installation to OEM-specified BIOS information in the PC. This technology works very similar to existing technologies that many OEMs have used over the years with the CDs they ship to reinstall Windows on these computers. We expanded and integrated the existing OEM CD BIOS locking mechanism with product activation, and call this method of protection "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP.

Successfully implemented, SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS to protect the installation from casual piracy. No communication by the end customer to Microsoft is required and no hardware hash is created or necessary. At boot, Windows XP compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, no activation is required.

Every single piece of hardware could be changed on a PC with SLP and no reactivation would be required — even the motherboard could be replaced as long as the replacement motherboard was original equipment manufactured by the OEM and retained the proper BIOS. In the unlikely scenario that the BIOS information does not match, the PC would need to be activated within 30 days by contacting the Microsoft activation center via the Internet or telephone call — just as in a retail scenario.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...te/xpactiv.mspx

@riverrm,

thanx for your valuable comments. I've already information that the way Microsoft+OEM+BIOS vendor worked hand-in-glove to implement SLP has not changed from what was their method 3-yrs back. Purpose of SLP is already defeated in a corner of the world. My problem is that i'm not getting hand to the beautiful article written by Peter Siering in highly acclaimed German Computer Magazine C't wayback in 2002! that article is even not available for online reading now. I ask my German Mates here to arrange a translated to english copy of this article as either post here or as a mail to my mailbox. Here's the information about that exemplary article on C't:

version: 20/2002 Page:212

Peter Siering : "Windows XP freizügig"

In the article the Author states :

Windows XP without hardware chain

The rumor keeps itself persistent that a OEM version of Windows XP is executable only on the associated PC. Though M$ wants us to believe that it is impossible to make this cd´s run on other computers, it is usually very simple to release XP from the hardware chains.

Edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA

If you must change your Motherboard and you have no warranty on this board (and cant get a board of your manufacturer) you must activate your version, because the XP Versions are Bios bundled.

Normally this is no problem, to activate a SLP Version like a normal Retail/OEM Version over internet or telephon. But some people have fear to do that...why???!!!

But sometimes there is a solution...you can add/change a bios string to use your XP version without activation. At the monent this is possible with the most AWARD/AMI Bios versions. (I dont found a solution with Phoenix Versions.)