Need help with Windows 2000 RunOnceEx.cmd

I was able to create a working Windows XP unattended DVD and now I am working on the Windows 2000 unattended DVD.

I am having problem with the RunOnceEx.cmd, I can't seem to make it run after the Windows 2000 installation, it boots directly to the desktop instead of running the application install. I created cmdlines.txt and RunOnceEx.cmd under $OEM$

Any experts please give me some help with this. Thank you so much!

-----------------------------------Begin RunOnceEx.cmd---------------------------------

cmdow @ /HID

@Echo Off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:

SET PP=%cdrom%\

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Applications Installation" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\140 /VE /D "Adobe Acrobat 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\140 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\install\ACROBAT7\AcroStan.msi /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\200 /VE /D "WinZip 9" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\200 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\Program Files\WinZip\winzip32.exe \" /noqp /autoinstall" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\250 /VE /D "PowerDVD 4" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\250 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\install\PowerDVD\setup.exe /q" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\330 /VE /D "Microsoft Office System 2003" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\330 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\install\Office2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\350 /VE /D "Roxio EZ CD Creator Basic" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\350 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\install\Roxio\ECDC5B.msi /qb REBOOT=Suppress REBOOTPROMPT=S TRANSFORMS=1033.MST" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\450 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\450 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\install\OCC.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\500 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\500 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

-----------------------------------End RunOnceEx.cmd---------------------------------

Diesel 98a... Change to batch file? it's already a *.cmd file.. not sure what you mean by that.. could you explain??

Evil Voice... where do I add the reg.exe file? I didn't see it being mentioned anywhere in the forum or msfn web site.... please explain.. thanks

He meant that Windows 2k doesn't support RunOnceEx. You need to use batch files like the one i paste below. RunOneEx is a registry input which isn't supported in Windows 2000.

Example:

@ECHO OFF

start /wait \\server\Install\Advanced\Microsoft_Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

start /wait \\server\Install\Main\7_Zip\7z423.exe /S

EXIT

Just a normal .bat/.cmd file

• 9 months later...
Evil Voice... where do I add the reg.exe file? I didn't see it being mentioned anywhere in the forum or msfn web site.... please explain.. thanks

You need to copy the reg.exe found in deploy.cab from the folder support/tools on your Windows 2000 CD to your \winnt or \winnt\system32 directory during install. The syntax REG ADD depends on that (REG.EXE ADD....) and it is not included by default in Win2k.

Windows 2000 supports installation through RunOnceEx, don't worry about that. Adding the keys to RunOnceEx via batch files is not supported unless you copy the reg.exe as described above.

You cannot use WIN51IP.SP2 as a marker file since it is specific for Win XP Pro SP2, use CDROM_IP.5 or any other Win2k specific file found in the root of the cd. (CDROM_NT.5 or maybe CDROMSP4.TST)

Hope this helps you on the way.

• 2 years later...
Windows 2000 supports installation through RunOnceEx, don't worry about that. Adding the keys to RunOnceEx via batch files is not supported unless you copy the reg.exe as described above.
Windows 2000 does indeed support RunnOnceEx; I can verify this to be true.

The original poster should rename his RunOnceEx.cmd to something that follows the 8.3 short filename format (like "logon.cmd"); add REG.EXE from DEPLOY.CAB to the $OEM$ directory; and, either remove the "\" "from SET PP=%cdrom%\", or proceeding the %cdrom% variable in his script with exception to the definition of the variable. After those modifications, RunOnceEx should run.

EDIT: Also on the line:

REG ADD %KEY%\200 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\Program Files\WinZip\winzip32.exe \" /noqp /autoinstall" /f

An extra space seems to exist after winzip32.exe (although this may not be a problem).

Edited by Ascii2