Error Message

Im new to this whole thing, so bear with me, but I just created my first unattended windows xp cd. I used the tutorial from this site and Bâshrat the Sneaky's Driver Slipstreamer to do so. I have a new SATA drive that I wanted to install this onto. So I installed the drive and popped in the CD. Everything worked fine, all the drivers loaded and windows saw the hard drive. I chose to "format using the NTFS file system" , it started going, and went outside for a little while, as i did not want to sit there and wait. I come back and there is this error message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives and or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***Step: 0x0000007B (0xF79F7528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So I restarted and got the same error message. I don't know how to run CHKDSK /F, so i didnt do that. I even made another unattended disc, thinking i screwed it up somehow, but the first thing I saw after BIOS did its thing was that error message. It never even entered Windows setup.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is?

ChkDsk (CheckDisk) is a command line utility for repairing low-level hard disk problems. The /F flag just means fix the errors instead of just finding them. You can find a little more info at the Microsoft Website.

Since this is the first time you've used this hard disk, I would say it's unlikely that it is defective; it's much more likely that there was a small problem formatting it for the first time. Probably a bad sector just needs to be remapped. There are a bunch of ways you could fix this. You could boot to your Windows CD and use the Recovery Console to run ChkDsk /F, or you could use one of the numerous low-level detect and repair utilities on the 'net, such as SeaTools from Seagate, or PowerMax from Maxtor. Most of the tools are not brand-specific.

Also, you could try running the Windows install again and reformatting the disk. I see that you weren't able to enter the setup when you tried the second time, but probably if you change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is first you'll be able to boot to it. I assume what happened there is that Windows queried the hard disk to see if it was bootable before even checking to see if there was a CD in the drive. If you do manage to boot to it, choose the regular format (ie, not the "quick" format) for either NTFS or FAT32, and it will run a checkdisk automatically beforehand. This is the only difference I am aware of between the quick format and the regular format, and would be the first/easiest thing to try.

stop error x0000007B is inaccessible boot device.

My guess is the drivers weren't properly integrated.

Can you install XP without problems when you use the F6

method? If you can then thats the problem.

no i can't do F6 cuz i dont have a floppy drive, thats the whole reason i decided to make the unattended disk. and if they werent integrated right, then wouldnt they just not load? i saw the drivers load up while windows was loading everything

Edited by JrDave2304

You saw the drivers being copied during textmode setup. I've had

drives show up in textmode and was able to format them. But when windows

boots I would get the 7B stop error. I've used this method sucessfully

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49374 with them.

Also since you used Bâshrat the Sneaky's Driver Slipstreamer you should

ask in the device driver forum about your problem. I'm not familiar with

it so i can't help you with it.