WMS on different subnets

Hey guys, i'm in serious need of some help. I took over the job of maintaining a system that will broadcast live video of professors, as well as allow access to the archives. The guy before me didn't install antivirus software on the servers, and they crashed on me recently, so i've had to rebuild the whole system from scratch without knowing anything. I'm using Windows Media Services 9 to stream the media. All of the encoding and archiving works fine. I think i'm almost done, with the exception of one problem. I can see the website just fine, but when i try to access the media from a different subnet, none of the media shows up. It works great when i'm on the same subnet. I'm not really sure what the deal is. Our network admin told me that the two subnets that i've been testing with are direclty routed together with no filtering. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Evan Gooch

egooch@gmail.com

Hmm I don't know much about using Windows Media Services for streaming but I suspect your problem has something to do with a network setting or limitation that the program has. Sorry I couldn't help but it might be worth checking this project out. The program is pretty flexible and has some very nice media streaming capabilites. http://www.videolan.org/

Windows media services 9 should work just fine. VideoLan works good but doesnt quite have the options and security that WMS does. As far as getting your stream to the other subnet, I have a few questions.

For starters what type of publishing point are you creating. Is it a flat file, or a live broadcast.

Secondly, how are you distributing your content. Are you using unicast or multicast. Routers, by default, do not forward multicast advertisements meaning unless you configure multicast on your routers (should be easy on one router) your content wont get over to the other side.

How are the users linking to this published content, through a link in favorites or a url and is this location "pingable" from the other subnet

Is NAT enabled between the 2 subnet? if so a static NAT entry will need to be added.

That is all I can think of off hand. I have experience using Windows media services at a few of my clients and we have done it over many different subnets simultaneously. I used Unicast distribution because it doesnt require any configuration on network devices or network clients, then I create the advertisemnt using the wizard and copy the information into my own template (cause theirs is lame).

Let me know if any of this works for you.