Hopefully a few simple questions.

I've spent the better part of a week making and tweaking an unattended XP install.

Everything seems to be working except changing the resolutions for the "Classic Style Setup Billboard" and when it logs in for the first time. I folloed the MSFN guide. Also I added a custom wallpaper to the classic billboard and it's not showing, and I assume that it's b/c the resoloution isn't changing.

This is all being tested in a VMWare image. The one time I ran it on a real machine (only had the first login res changed) it worked. But has never worked in the VMWare image. So any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

As part of my batch file that runs the silent app installs, I'd like to have it prompt the user for the computer name, workgroup, and if possible admin pasword. Anybody have a way to get this to work?

Thank's in advance, I've learned alot so far.

As part of my batch file that runs the silent app installs, I'd like to have it prompt the user for the computer name, workgroup, and if possible admin pasword. Anybody have a way to get this to work?

To change the computer name:

Reg Add /f HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName /v ComputerName /t REG_SZ /d <NewComputerName>
Red Add /f HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v "NV Hostname" /t REG_SZ /d <NewComputerName>

Or you can use the ever-handy CompName.exe to dynamically generate and set a computer name.

To change workgroups, use the NetDom utility (from the Windows XP Support Tools):

NetDom Member "<NewComputerName>" /JoinWorkgroup "<NewWorkgroup>"

Admin password is almost too easy:

Net User Administrator "<NewPassword>"

You could just code those into a batch file with a few prompts, and you're good to go (look at this topic for some help with user input)

Alternatively, you could use WISCON, BryanH's Windows Initial System Configurator, which can do all of that for you, in a nice little GUI that you can run from CMDLines.txt.

Hope this helped!