Ports, TCP, IP protocol, PPTP

Can someone please read below and tell me what this means and how to do it? I dont know much about computers so your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch everyone. :)

If you use a personal firewall or a broadband router, or if there are routers or firewalls between the VPN client and the VPN server, the following ports and protocol must be enabled for PPTP on all firewalls and routers that are between the VPN client and the VPN server:

Client ports Server port Protocol

1024-65535/TCP 1723/TCP PPTP

Additionally, you must enable IP PROTOCOL 47 (GRE).

Basically, you need to open those ports on what ever you use for a firewall.

If you use a router to get to the internet, then you need to login to your router and set those ports to open.

If you are using a software firewall then you need to go into the configuration options and open those ports.

I assume you are trying to set up a VPN Right?, because thats what that information is. First if you’re not that familiar with computers VPNs might be a bit difficult for you. I strongly suggest reading up on VPNs, but I will try to give you a quick but fairly through explanation of all the concepts.

A VPN (virtual private network) is special, secure encrypted connection from one network to another. VPNs allow you to access network resources such as printers, file shares, etc on a different network than the one you are directly connected to. For example VPNs are used very commonly in situations where an employee needs to connect to a secure network such as a private office network, from home using an unsecured connection like the internet. VPNs do not allow you to control another computer remotely, that is access the remote computer's desktop as if you were at that computer. You will need Remote Desktop software for this. Remote desktop software can be used in conjunction with VPNs however.

Anyways the information you posted is some of the information you need to know in order to set up your VPN. Now I don't know if you are trying to set up a VPN to your house or from your house to somewhere else or what, but If you have a high-speed connection such as cable or DSL you most likely have a router/gateway between your computer and your cable/DSL modem. In order to setup a VPN you will need to change some settings on the router/gateway, and that is the information you listed TCP refers to a type of port. The acronym isn't important, basically ports are a way for computers keep track of a conversation on a network. GRE is a type of protocol process that allows VPNs to be more secure. Now as I mentioned before I don't know if you’re trying to set up a VPN Server (the computer you want to connect to) or VPN client (the computer you use to connect to the server) or both. I am assuming you are trying to set up a client, if you are trying to set up a sever let me know, and I will post those directions, which involve much more configuration. I am assuming your using Windows XP, if not let me know and we can adjust the directions accordingly.

Setting up the Client:

Step 1: Create a Connection

Access the New Connection Wizard, usually found in the Start menu under Accessories then Communications or in the Control Panel under Network Connections

Step 2: Click next, select "Connect to the Internet at my Workplace" and click next. It doesn't really matter if you are connecting to your workplace; Microsoft just worded it that way for some reason.

Step 3: Select "Virtual Private Network Connection" and click next. You can enter anything you want for the company name; once again it doesn't matter if it’s not a company. Click next

Step 4: If you’re using a high-speed connection you should select "Do Not Dial" and click next

Step 5: Here you need to type the IP address or hostname of the VPN server. If you are connecting to someone else's VPN server they will provide you with the hostname or IP address. An IP address is a unique identifier for computers, kind of like the street address your house has. "192.168.0.1" is an example of an IP address. A hostname can appear several ways but in this situation it would look similar to "something.something.com".

Step 6: Select the "Add shortcut to desktop" for your convenience if you wish and click Finish.

Step 7: Setting up the Router/Gateway

This step is specific to your router/gateway. Linksys, Netgear and Dlink are some of the common ones so you may have one of those it should say right on the front. In order to complete the following you will need to consult the manufacture website or if its one of the common ones such as Linksys I might be able to walk you through it.

a. When using a VPN client you really don't have to do much to the router/gateway. Most home routers/gateways don't block outgoing connections so the client ports 1024-65535 that you listed don't need to be opened.

b. I can't remember if you need to do this for an outgoing client VPN connection but to be safe we will. You need to enable VPN Pass-through and if there is the option specifically PPTP pass-through. On most home router/gateways there is no option for GRE which is what we talked about earlier, however PPTP pass-through should take care of this. I say should because some vendors such as linksys are notorious for having problems with their routers not allowing GRE even though it claims to be supported.

That should get you started, let me know and give me more info so I can help you better. Thanks, Jon

Edited by darkfiber1010