Strange DNS issue

Good morning guys and gals,

We have a strange issue here. We have a primary domain called abc.inc which is AD integrated, and all DNS requests within the domain are handled normally.

We created a new DNS domain (we'll call it new.inc) which has names of kiosks we have out in the field with a different subnet and are not on our AD domain. It seems like a couple weeks ago, out of nowhere, we could not resolve those new.inc names in DNS without hitting ipconfig /renew in DOS!

All DNS and DHCP entries look OK. Anyone have any ideas why this can happen. This can happen a couple times a day, where I would have to hit ipconfig /renew just to browse non-domain DNS entries!

Please help!

Thanks in advance as always!

Vitaly

It's probably a Microsoft "feature"!  :w00t:

Dam! No dice. Looks like same issue. Tried restarting DNS server and DHCP service. Same issue,

Looks like definitely DHCP related, since an ipconfig /renew seems to reset everything. What's really aggravating is that nslookup works just fine, but then I can't ping anything right before or after the nslookup with the /renew!

Please help!

When you "ping" do you ping using the computer name or IP address?

What message do you get? Does it "time out"?

When I ping the IP address, it replies no problems. When I ping by name, "ping request could not find computername."

A simple ipconfig /renew makes the workstation see DNS again.

If the ping by computername fails, then your DNS server is not behaving. Is there any way you could remove DNS and reinstall?

Can that be done with Active Directory running?

The fact that I have to keep hitting /renew, is this a DHCP issue?

DHCP is not set to expire for 7 days, yet for some reason it seems like it's not the case. The only DNS that works after several hours is the AD DNS, not extraneous DNS domains on the DNS server.