Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
DigeratiPrime

RyanVM Update Packs with MCE

I want to confirm that RyanVM's Update Pack v1.2.2 works with MCE 2005. :)

I used nlite to integrate the update pack, and later copied over the WMP9-Less INF's.

The last step is you need to replace these 4 files in the I386 directory with the original ones from your MCE cd (for wmp10):

DRMV2CLT.DL_

WMNETMGR.DL_

WMP.DL_

WMVCORE.DL_

However there are still MCE specific hotfixes that arent included in the Update Pack, such as:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 1 (KB873369)

KB888316

KB890629

Q890760

Q895678

These can be installed during Windows Setup with RunOnceEx.cmd

Edited by DigeratiPrime

I don't know... Tried your way, my way (no copying or whatnot, just let Windows sort it out :blushing: ) and still I'm having issues... Can't remember what though so your method probably works fine. :P

I think it was something like WMP 10 not installed correctly. :realmad:

Which is ALWAYS a pain. :no:

Well i was able to get WMP10 working with ryans update pack and mce. However due to the number of problems ryans pack introduced I'am no longer using it. I feel the updates are over-rated for the most part, and will wait for sp3 before i risk breaking the system.

Well i was able to get WMP10 working with ryans update pack and mce.  However due to the number of problems ryans pack introduced I'am no longer using it.  I feel the updates are over-rated for the most part, and will wait for sp3 before i risk breaking the system.

Problems? :blink:

I'll be the first to say it, what problems? He doesn't introduce 'em, Microsoft does. :P

Just use the Lite pack, that'll strip things down to just the updates.

well i only used the LITE pack, but a certain hotfix (KB885250) causes files and folders to sometimes not appear over a network, with ryanvms update pack there is no way to uninstall the hotfix.

see: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46308

Also there are/have been compatibility programs with Bashrats Driverpacks which i value more then the hotfixes by a wide margin.

Furthermore Ryans been distracted and hasnt updated the packs in a while, though i know a new version is in the works. He's actually getting married today! :) Congrats Ryan!

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Furthermore Ryans been distracted and hasnt updated the packs in a while, though i know a new version is in the works.  He's actually getting married today!  Congrats Ryan!

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

Yah... I heard. :blushing: Bless 'im, I say. Real life should always take precedent over us ungrateful louts. :D Or rather... Grateful louts with a few bad seeds thrown in. :rolleyes:

RyanVM is a patient, loving cat. I'd be totally unable to put up with the constant "Ryan's betrayed us..." crap. :angry:

does the new pack work with it? -then running the update pack2 on runonce?