Problem

Nerwin

i have a 80 gig hard drive and a 5gig portion i just restarted my computer and it started to install xp pro without the cd on that portion can i get delete that portion. but i never put the cd in it just started to install xp.

Well, yes you can delete it, but how you delete it and what you mean by "delete" it isn't clear. Also, it isn't clear why it just started to install with no CD in the Cd drive. Odd behaviour indeed.

I presume there is another partition with data on it and probably an i386 folder with windows setup files in it somewhere. do you wan t to keep that data? or is it okay to zap it?

In genereal you probably want to use a third party tool and clear the partitions altogether. Then lay down new ones and reformat them anew.

If your paranoid about leaving data behind, then use a utility to "wipe" the disk with 20 or 30 passes. Then reformat.

If you want to fresh install on the 5GB partition, that will work, but won't leave much room for expansion.

If you're selling it, why not leave it clean? Unless your selling them the media and license too.

The 5GB partition (not portion, thats how much mashed potatoes you want) is most likely a hidden recovery partition, and the install is starting from there. Use fdisk or recovery console if you want to delete the partitions.