is peer to peer legal ?

grafx1

Okay, the short version.

Peer-to-peer is legal.

How's that?

yup yup! :yes:

Lets all try to stay away from talking about P2P like it is synonymous to illegal activities like "stealing" copyrighted material and so on.

Even though I sure know that the bigger part of the data passing through those apps are indeed just that.

It's all about keeping our freedom and liberty to make our own choices, what is trying to be done is simply limiting our possibilities to make our own decisions...I mean, I still can choose if I wanna keep that speedlimit..(that would actually endanger myself and others, with the possibility of accidents that would cost suffering and money for our collective economy).

This is a fact, everybody knows this.

...and know now they have actually gotten this far with this P2P hunt that ppl actually are discussing in terms of the P2P phenomena or application is legal on not, and wanna make the applications itself illegal....truly amazing!

And all wrapped up in a sorry a** "protect the artist/individual" mantra.

I still wanna make my own decisions, P2P programs is a excellent tool for sharing material, grabbing distros and so on...it's should perfectly enuff to have made the action itself of downloading/sharing stolen stuff illegal.

yup yup!  :yes:

Lets all try to stay away from talking about P2P like it is synonymous to illegal activities like "stealing" copyrighted material and so on.

Even though I sure know that the bigger part of the data passing through those apps are indeed just that.

It's all about keeping our freedom and liberty to make our own choices, what is trying to be done is simply limiting our possibilities to make our own decisions...I mean, I still can choose if I wanna keep that speedlimit..(that would actually endanger myself and others, with the possibility of accidents that would cost suffering and money for our collective economy).

This is a fact, everybody knows this.

...and know now they have actually gotten this far with this P2P hunt that ppl actually are discussing in terms of the P2P phenomena or application is legal on not, and wanna make the applications itself illegal....truly amazing!

And all wrapped up in a sorry a** "protect the artist/individual" mantra.

I still wanna make my own decisions, P2P programs is a excellent tool for sharing material, grabbing distros and so on...it's should perfectly enuff to have made the action itself of downloading/sharing stolen stuff illegal.

WRd-P DAwG! keep the fredom, spread the liberty, enjoy America!

L8-

B)

Yes, I have been following it and other aspects for a while. I truly think the enterainment moguls need to rethink their business model and strategies. They've only been hurting themselves by treating their customers as criminals and thieves.

Also they do not look for people with drives full of software there is no way they would win in court if they did that because to do that they will have to hack your system

In the US, however, the RIAA is permited to hack computers, laws very from location to location, be sure your getting the laws that apply to you.

That sounds like the erstwhile Orrin Hatch of Utah!! He actually advocated that destruction of people's data or even hardware damagingj code!! Really. You should've heard him. He really has no clue. sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

When thinking about and discussing the question of one of the best developments that have ever happened to the world, ie P2P filesharing, please widen the scope of your thinking to include the question of the legitimacy of the 'Law'.

Here are some generic points to consider:

1)

"The law locks up the man or woman

Who steals a goose from off the common,

But leaves the greater villain loose

Who steals the common from under the goose".

(15th century, English, Anonymous)

2)

Everything the Nazis did in WW2 was legal. Everything.

3)

With regard to drug laws in every nation on the planet that are members of the United Nations, these were, in general, decided by the United States in 1961 when it presented the UN with the list of banned substances it wanted every other country to adopt for their own countries. How legitimate are these laws when not one person in each of these countries had a say in them?

3)

Copyright restricts how you are legally allowed to use a product - if this was applied to motor cars - who would buy a car that you weren't allowed to pick up any passengers, or drive it on a particular day, or drive it so far, etc? No one of course, and the car makers would be vilified all over the world. For some reason, record companies got away with it.

So, if I was debating someone about P2P filesharing and the point was brought up that it is against the law, my reply is simply 'when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.'

The point to make is: Laws aren't universal truths, they are created within particular circumstances - which is why two countries could have exactly opposite laws on the same issue.

If you really couldn't be bothered to argue, the best snappy reply to " ... but its against the law!" is to retort "the law is an arse then" (or you could also say 'property is theft' but that one is a bit abstract and not as satisfying to say)