unattend diskpart

bilemke

Correct me, if I'm wrong. What you're talking here is multiboot in

a. Windows Setup

b. Partitioning tool

First you boot into the partitioning tool, do whatever partitioning/formatting you need, then reboot and boot into Windows Setup.

There's nothing new here, unless you completely automate the process and partition the drive with some predefined paramaters (i.e. 20 gb primary partition + an extended partition for the rest of the space).

"bootcheck"

True.. I suppose it is a matter of how unattended you want to be.. I would never let windows repartition any drive of mine in setup if I had multiple drives (like I do) with some drives keeping data betwen/during a reinstall. See my post in response to this thread here.

Personally.. I setup my partitions in a way so I designate an area/partition for windows and program files.. So, when I want to reinstall I just move what I want to keep to a diff partition.. Then, wipe the windows install partition out and install again (usually just format, not delete and recreate the partition). And even if I get a new drive, I can always setup the first partiton in dos based portion of setup and then from there on, everything else is unattended if I want it to be so. Then I just make the other partitions, if needed in this case, in windows drive management and change the letters to whatever I want.

BTW If you go with WinPE.. this might be of interest.

A crafty implementation of the "bootcheck" function of cdshell could be used to check if there is a bootbale partition on the drive and then start the windows setup or start the repartitioning software (dos floppy image or whatever).. This would only work though if you had deleted all partitions before booting the cd or it was a blank/new harddrive. Thus, limiting you to less then 100% automation again. So, the level of how unattended your unattended cd has to reach a limit somewhere.. As far as letting windows setup repartition my drives and expect it to always do it correctly (not delete a wanted partition that contains important data) is where I would cut the line. With quick format in windows setup or even in ranish partition manager, it only takes me about 15-30 seconds to start my setup.. Then I walk away as usual and let it finish.

Next are we going to go the next step of unattended and have windows decide when it is time for a reinstall and have it either magically put the cd/dvd in the drive or always leave a setup cd in the drive and it just has to reboot? :lol:

Edited by bilemke

Ok, I see we're on the same page :) I just wanted to clarify how unattended your partitioning was.

I also use a designated partition for the OS and program files, it's seems to be a good practice, especially for those who use imaging backup. Makes reinstallation simplier either.

If I need to partition the dirve, I boot into Acronis Partition Expert, do the job, then reboot into unattended install. I'm not really into installations from WinPE (thanks for the link, though). I do use BartPE (XPE, in fact), but I consider it more like a rescue platform. It also has a bunch of partitioning tools just in case :)

So my primary interest in this discussion was in the title of the thread. Multiboot is a totally different story and the board has a separate forum for that.

P.S. Didn't check your link on cdshell, as I use BCDW :)

Ok, I see we're on the same page :) I just wanted to clarify how unattended your partitioning was. 

I also use a designated partition for the OS and program files, it's seems to be a good practice, especially for those who use imaging backup. Makes reinstallation simplier either.

If I need to partition the dirve, I boot into Acronis Partition Expert, do the job, then reboot into unattended install. I'm not really into installations from WinPE (thanks for the link, though). I do use BartPE (XPE, in fact), but I consider it more like a rescue platform. It also has a bunch of partitioning tools just in case :)

So my primary interest in this discussion was in the title of the thread. Multiboot is a totally different story and the board has a separate forum for that.

P.S. Didn't check your link on cdshell, as I use BCDW :)

True.. I think it is a good practive too.. And I probally would use BCDW if I was not holding on to BootScriptor.. cdshell is nice replacement.. But has too many features I dont need.. And I got used to the scripts for BootScriptor and dotn want to give it up yet.

As I said though, when it comes down to it.. I would never use Autopartition=1 or let any other software "automatically" partition my drives.. Too much stuff can get deleted waaaaaayyyyyy too quickly.