Wireless Trouble!

Kaizen

Wireless internet connection drops every few minutes when on my “secure” wireless home network.

-Only drops when router is “Security-Enabled”

-Does not drop when configured to Unsecured

-When connected to the secure wireless network… on the “Choose a wireless Network” screen it tells me I am “Not Connected”, but the button in the bottom right corner reads “Disconnect”…

I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Packs 2

What can I do to solve this problem?

From Microsoft:

To set up automatic wireless configuration

1. Open Network Connections.
  2. Right-click the connection for which you want to set up automatic wireless network configuration, and then click Properties.
  3. On the Wireless Networks tab, do one of the following:
         * To enable automatic wireless network configuration for this connection, select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box. This check box is selected by default.
         * To disable automatic wireless network configuration for this connection, clear the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.
  4. The list of available wireless networks detected by automatic wireless network configuration appears under Available networks. To make changes to the Preferred networks list, do the following:
         * To add an available wireless network to the Preferred networks list for this connection, under Available networks, click the network that you want to add, and then click Configure.
         * To add a new wireless network to the Preferred networks list for this connection, under Preferred networks, click Add, and in Wireless Network Properties, specify the network name (Service Set Identifier), wireless network key (Wired Equivalent Privacy) settings, and whether the network is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network.
         * To change the order in which connection attempts to preferred networks are made for this connection, under Preferred networks, click the wireless network that you want to move to a new position on the list, and then click Move up or Move down.
         * To remove a wireless network from the list of preferred networks for this connection, under Preferred networks, click the wireless network that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  5. To refine the type of wireless network to access, click Advanced, and then click the network type that you want. For example, if you want to make a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) connection, and if both computer-to-computer and access point (infrastructure) networks are within range of your computer, click Computer-to-computer (AdHoc) networks only.

To set up 802.1x authentication

1. Open Network Connections.
  2. Right-click the connection for which you want to enable or disable IEEE 802.1x authentication, and then click Properties.
  3. On the Authentication tab, do one of the following:
         * To enable IEEE 802.1xx authentication for this connection, select the Network access control using IEEE 802.1X check box. This check box is selected by default.
         * To disable IEEE 802.1xx authentication for this connection, clear the Network access control using IEEE 802.1X check box.
  4. In EAP type, click the Extensible Authentication Protocol type to be used with this connection.
  5. If you select Smart Card or other Certificate in EAP type, you can configure additional properties if you click Properties and, in Smart Card or other Certificate Properties, do the following:
         * To use the certificate located on your smart card for authentication, click Use my smart card.
         * To use the certificate located in the certificate store on your computer for authentication, click Use a certificate on this computer.
         * To verify that the server certificate presented to your computer is still valid, select the Validate server certificate check box, specify whether to connect only if the server is located within a particular domain, and then specify the trusted root certification authority.
         * To use a different user name when the user name in the smart card or certificate is not the same as the user name in the domain to which you are logging on, select the Use a different user name for the connection check box.
  6. To specify whether the computer attempts authentication to the network if a user is not logged on and/or if the computer or user information is not available, do the following:
         * To specify that the computer attempt authentication to the network if a user is not logged on, select the Authenticate as computer when computer information is available check box.
         * To specify that the computer attempt authentication to the network if user information or computer information is not available, select the Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is unavailable check box.

To connect to an available wireless network

1. Right-click the network connection icon in the notification area and then click View Available Wireless Networks.
  2. In Connect to Wireless Network, under Available Networks, click the wireless network that you want to connect to.
  3. If a network key is required for Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), do one of the following:
         * If the network key is automatically provided (for example, the key is stored on the wireless network adapter given to you by your administrator), leave Network Key blank.
         * If the network key is not automatically provided for you, in Network key, type the key.
  4. Click Connect.
  5. To configure additional wireless network connection settings, or if you are having difficulty making a connection to the wireless network that you selected, click Advanced, and then configure the settings in the Wireless Networks tab.

Hope this can help! :hello:

• 1 month later...

Another thing that you can do is manually configure tcp/ip properties under the alternate tab. Input ip, subnet mask, dns, and gateway info. Depending on your router, this could also allow you to lock your network down even tighter.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

You can also try this. I have the same issue when I am using my linksys WLAN card.

1. Do right Click on the "My Computer"

2. Select "Manage" options

3. On the Tree of Computer Management dialogue box Windows Choose "Services and Applications"

4. On the right side window double click on "services"

5. Find Wireless Zero Configuration at the bottom of name listing and double click on it.

6. Click STOP on the services.

Hopefully this will solve your problem

Thks,

Dtech