Default User Profile question...

coords

Hello guys

I would love to know how to get a customized "Default User" profile into our unattended XP SP2 install. Anyone have any ideas? (Also getting rid of Luna would also be great!)

Customized how?

You can access the default profile towards the end of the setup, it will be located at '%HomeDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User'. Before this stage you may have to look into making your changes in '%SystemRoot%\system32\config\systemprofile'

We have cutomized the default user profile quite a bit, and would like to replace the original profile with it. I have seen the $Docs folder and wonder if it's possible to get integrated via that folder... I usually once changing it to our standard, copy it via Advanced\User Profiles and copy it over the original "Default User", but surely this could be done during the unattend, or not????

Where can I find instructions on how to go about doing it, since "Default User" is a long-filename... (text mode copy problems)? Thanks again

Edited by coords

• 3 weeks later...

The default user profile is just a trick of the eye...........

when you are installing windows XP the stuff you add to the register you by added to the HKCU........

after you reboot and make a profile it is then a hidden profile.......

the space between the Default and user causes problems sometimes you can use qoutes to cure that and where the quotes go depends on what you are doing/////

here is a thread to play with I don't run profiles.............

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...efault+User+SID

and you might want to play with this some vbs script...........

I use VBS to play with files copying and moving

you could add a Environment variable during the windows install to point to the

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

Like I did the XPCD ...............

so it would look something like this

dfup = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%defaultuserprofile%")

also add

Dim dfup

or

dfup = "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"

On Error Resume Next 
'Declare var's and objects
Dim WshS, fso, sysr, sysd, home, aup, cpf, pf, up, XPCD
Dim strFolderName

Set WshS = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'Expand Environment
'Create const's to spare time and place
sysr = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SystemRoot%")
sysd = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Systemdrive%")
home = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Homepath%")
aup = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%AllUsersProfile%")
cpf = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%CommonProgramfiles%")
pf = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Programfiles%")
up = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%UserProfile%")
XPCD = WshS.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%XPCD%")

strFolderName = up & "\Application Data\AdShield"
If Not fso.FolderExists(strFolderName) Then
fso.CreateFolder(strFolderName)
End If
fso.CopyFile XPCD & "\Securityfiles\adshield.abl", up & "\Application Data\AdShield\adshield.abl" , true
fso.CopyFile XPCD & "\Prog\AdShield\license.txt", pf & "\AllStar\AdShield\license.txt" , true

all depend on how you deal with it........

IT is my bed time but here is a copy and past from an old post of mine from another site...............

I don't use user account because of the way the register works... I hate the way it works... 

Think of the register this way it is a cd player with a multi CD disc tray,,, one tray has a CD with a lid over it is sealed you can not log onto the spot never.... all the rest of the trays are open face.... you switch CD's when you change users.. The admin slot is open face... just like the rest IT IS THE SAME AS ALL USERS but it has a different number IN THE REGISTER... and they use a B.S> name called admin.. it is a regular desktop... profile.... what ever you want to call it...

here is the kicker if some one messes up there cd you can replace that... But if someone messes up the CD player(the CD player is the shared part of the register) you are all screwed,,,,
EVEN THE ADMIN ACCOUNT is history...

on my computer I have managed to not use the admin account(never created one) it is really a joke slot... And I have removed the seal from the hidden default profile..
I have no users... The only user is the HIDDEN default desktop that I remove the seal from....

The problem is most software when you install it on bob's desktop tom and jane and bill will not see it...

If bill changes stuff to his liking like the knobs on the front of the CD player you all get that setting.........

One other thing is all desktop are created from the hidden sealed desktop which never gets updated again once you start to use users,,,,
windows XP forces you to create a user when it gets done installing so you are screwed from the start....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So to answer you question to install before or after what you install will be seen on that desktop you are on.. and when you creat a new user they get a copy of the sealed CD,,, Not what you added ...... I hope you can also see how that will affect the rest of the register the shared part... some programs will not install on a second desktop cause they see it in the shared part of the register... what a mess........... They will ask do you want to repair or remove... OH boy things are getting hairy here,,, they see the uninstall register keys...

I use a combo of Vb script and register files to remove the sealed tray cover ...
I have one CD and one CD player box.........

I use moble hard drive docks to switch users,,,,
when you want to use the computer you slide your hard drive in... SO now if you f-up yours ... Tom bill and jane still have perfectly good desktop and hard drives..

Just remember all users share parts of the same register ...

........ NOT GOOD.......

So even by limiting them they still can screw the shared part of the register or program folders up....

Limited account is a joke to................

I guess I better shut up now!... The windows register is one of my pet peeves...... just like Ex smokers are worse than people that never smoked. and you will see non-smokers giving a smoker a bad time while the non smoker is burning there brain with a cell phone by there ear....

Hope this helps....
Mac!

Edited by Coolsights2000